Error 70 on Canon EOS 60D [edit: + 550D] [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Arvi89

November 20th, 2018, 9:17 pm

So, what's going on?
dominikkv

November 20th, 2018, 10:29 pm

We are going on vacation tomorrow, would be cool if we could use the unleashed with our Canon 60D...
thecake

November 22nd, 2018, 11:27 am

Hey guys. Any news on the Update?

Family is over for a 40th birthday this weekend and I'd really like to use my 550D with the unleashed.

Best,
TC
Mounty

November 22nd, 2018, 11:50 am

Hi team. I also have the identical problem on my 60D and am very keen to learn when you will have the update. Cheers
jonnytup

November 22nd, 2018, 9:12 pm

Another 60D user, waiting for the update.
60D
Phonix91

November 23rd, 2018, 12:03 pm

Hi, also having the same issue with my 60D. Any update would be appreciated.

Brett
Arvi89

November 25th, 2018, 11:42 am

Any news???
thecake

November 27th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Soooo… two week later and no update or comment. Really?

Andy

November 13th, 2018, 8:05 pm
Not yet, sorry for the confusion. It will probably come in an update next week. There's still some testing to be done on the app side of the firmware updates.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography

Great communication guys.
You are the No Man's Sky of photography hardware.
Bravo. ಠ_ಠ
Oliver

November 27th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Haha, nooo! not no mans sky! ;-)

We're really sorry about this issue, and also the lack of communication about it.

We could have communicated a little more, but it would have mainly been "we're working on it", which of course is not very helpful.

The thing is that the firmware is fixed (as far as we know), but we need to roll out this firmware to you as well.
A) for this one fix for a smallish group of people
B) for other fixes, feature updates, etc for everyone

We've planned for this from the start, and everything basically works. But if we've learned one thing from the last few weeks, with plenty of forum entries and hundreds if not thousands of support emails, is that what works perfectly here in the office, does not necessarily work so well with every customer.

on iOS a little less so than Android, mainly because according to the Google Play Store, our app is compatible with 7631 different Android devices, no wonder some behave differently than the 4 we're developing on and a couple more that we test on.

So, before we roll out this firmware update to everyone, we want to do more testing of the update process which can cause bigger problems.

Now the problem we have is twofold:
1) We had lots of issues to fix in the apps (again more so on android than iOS), and during fixing it turned out that it makes sense to refactor important parts of the app, rather than applying one patch after the other. So both iOS and Android app development teams have been working on this in the last couple of weeks. So on top of figuring out that we need more time than anticipated to finish implementing and testing the firmware update process, our developers have less time than expected.

2) Before Unleashing the Firmware update on everyone (which requires even more stability and even more testing) we're looking into possibilities to roll out the firmware just to those affected by this mean Canon bug.
This requires so many more changes than you'd think - from changes in firmware, to Bluetooth communication, obviously the apps too, and last but not least, the distribution of the apps to the customer.

For both of these points, we had nothing to say until decisions were made, and these decisions could not yet be made, until today.

Our internal meetings today brought some clarity:
1) Our App developers will prioritize finalizing the Firmware update process starting tomorrow, and we plan to have this ready by the beginning of next week.

2) We will start a Beta-program, or something similar, where we can invite some selected users to test new Apps and Firmware, without having to roll out the updates to every customer. We'll start with the users of Canon cameras that currently cannot even use their Unelasheds, since you have little to loose at the moment, so if the firmware update doesn't fix your issue or brings along a new bug, ... well ... you probably wouldn't notice, or at least it wouldn't make things worse than before.

While we're looking into setting up the beta program on the iOS AppStore and the Google Play Store, we'd like to invite those of you who are affected by this Canon Bug to send us their Details, if you'd like to join.

We need:
  • email address - the one you used to register on the AppStore/Play Store
  • iOS or Android + Version
  • Camera Model(s)
please send that to beta@foolography.com

Of course at the same time we're working on getting the firmware update working perfectly in the normal app for everyone, it will just take a little longer.

Thanks and sorry again for this issue!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
TheRealTimYoung

November 28th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Hi, thanks for the update. I'll be mailing shortly with my details.

I also understand how patience is a virtue!
Canon 60D (firmware 1.1.1)