Issue with Sony Xperia XZ [edited] [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
watsonm

November 9th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Just sent an email to info@foolography.com and then found this community. Sorry.
-------------------------------------------
I seem to be having issues with the new Unleashed connecting to my Nikon D7200.
I have a Sony Xperia ZX running the android app and have paired the unleashed with the phone successfully.
When I run the app it finds Unleashed 000836. I tap the bar and the tick and DONE flash on and off.
I tap the done and the app switches back to searching.

On the main screen it now has a red dot and the word Unleashed. Occasionally it changes to a turquoise dot and some of the icons flash on and then it returns to red dot. The camera meanwhile is pulsing an orange/yellow dot that occasionally flashes to turquoise.
The phone then beeps consistently with a white circle in the status bar which also has the text say Unleashed Sending Geotagging data.

Sometimes on the main screen by the red dot it says Unleahsed 000836 and sometimes it say D7200.

I have re installed the app. Cleared out cache and data. Re “paired” the device with the phone. Powered the camera on and off all to no avail.

Once or twice it has ended up with the connection made and I have fired the shutter from the app but I am not sure how to get it to this state consistently.

All I really want to do is have it send GPS data when I fire the shutter on the camera (like I did with the DX000, but using the phone rather than the Holux device)

Is there a way of resetting the device (if that could be the problem). I have tried leaving the device off the camera for 24 hours but the problem remains.

Any help appreciated as at the moment it is not performing as advertised.
-----------------------------
Regards MIke
Andy

November 9th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Hi Mike,

We had a similar issue with another user. He actually came to our office and we got to debug the issue with his phone, a Sony Xperia XZ Premium. It turned out the issue was actually the phone. If you do a quick google search for "sony xperia xz bluetooth" you'll see that quite a few people had issues with this when they updated their Android OS. I read somewhere in those forums that the issue was fixed for some user by restoring the network factory defaults. I didn't try it on the phone we had here because it was not my place to do that, so I'm not sure if that actually works.

The problem is that the phone does not comply with the standard Bluetooth protocol messages. Could you tell me what Android version are you on? And if it's possible for you, could you try restoring the network factory settings?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
watsonm

November 9th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Andy,
Thanks for that . Does seem to have got it working better.
The trigger page seem to be active OK and stable now .

After I turn the camera off and back on again the app does seem to work OK.

However when I fire the shutter on the camera the GPS data does not seem to be requested. Sometimes after a few minutes
it does seem to work and then it will continue to be requested until I turn the camera off again.

For info android 8.0.0
-----------------------------
Regards MIke
Oliver

November 9th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Btw, that other user is kind enough to come back next week with a bit of time, so that we can dig a little deeper into the issue, and hopefully find a way to work around the issue.

But very cool that the reset fixed your issue! We just released another Android app version today with a lot of bugfixes, so it's worth updating if you haven't already!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Andy

November 9th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Good to know it works! :)

We have a couple of threads about GPS. Could you check them out and, if things are still unclear, post a new question?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography