N1 / Nikon D810: almost no functionality without USB cable attached

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
kay1234

November 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Hi!

The first day or so when I used the N1 on my Nikon D810 everything worked as expected. I could use most of the functions without USB cable. This is very different now. Without USB cable attached the only functions available are GPS Mode and the trigger. Nothing else. Every single function besides these two display "xx is not available. USB cable unplugged. Plug in USB cable". When I plug the cable in everything works again until I detach the cable. Most of the time it doesn't even display the camera model (it sticks to displaying the N1 serial number).

If I'm not completely mistaken most of the functions are supposed to work with the D810 without the cable attached. I tried the following:
  • removed the unleashed from the app and rediscover it - no change
  • uninstalled and reinstalled the app - no change
  • tried the same on a different mobile phone - no change
  • grabbed my old D800 and tried the N1 on it - exactly the same behaviour, only GPS and trigger available, camera model not displayed
Am I doing anything wrong here?

Greetings
Kay
Andy

November 13th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Hi Kay,

I'm sorry you're having issues with the Unleashed. What you describe sounds like the Unleashed failed to recognize that the camera supports the settings communication protocol over the remote port.

What you can do in this situation is to remove the battery from the camera and put it back again. This basically resets the Unleashed and it will try to use the communication protocol again. Turning the camera off and on again does not reset the Unleashed on Nikon cameras.

However, it's very weird that it also didn't work on the D800. Did it work with the D800 before?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
kay1234

November 19th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Hi Andy,

I tried removing the battery - same result unfortunately.

Greetings
Kay
Ernesto

November 20th, 2018, 4:00 pm

This seams to be a similar issue like my problems with my D750 and my N2 Unleashed (see own thread in the forum: „Plugged in N2 switches off Display in D750“). In the beginning everything was fine, but after a while, I had only the GPS option in the App available (but my D750 goes always into the „half triggered Mode“, where it is nearly impossible to use the camera anymore). If I plug in the USB cable, the other options will be available.
Same behavior is with my D7100. The only difference is, that this Camera does not fall into the half triggered mode.

Best regards
Ernst
Andy

November 20th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Hi Kay,

please write an email to support@foolography.com to discuss details for a replacement. It indeed sounds like the Unleashed you got has an issue.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography