Unleashed seems to have destroyed the wifi feature of my D750

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Metalhead

April 26th, 2019, 5:52 pm

I noticed that suddenly the WiFi function of my D750 is no longer working and grayed out. Now the WLAN module is just behind the small Unleashed. Before I got this, Wifi worked flawlessly. But the staking of Unleashed brings nothing. Have tried everything, WiFi is dead and can not be reactivated by resetting the camera. Is it possible that there was an electrical short circuit or something like that which damaged the WLAN module, e.g. when plugging in the Unleashed?
Oliver

May 2nd, 2019, 9:54 pm

Hi Metalhead,

definitely not.

However, there might be a much simpler solution: Nikon disables the wifi option if your batteries are too low. Try recharging the battery! :-)
Also, make sure there's an SD card inserted into the camera.

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Metalhead

May 12th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Ok thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I know this solutions. The batteries are full loaded and I have two SD cards in the camera. There must be another reason for this problem.
Oliver

May 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Hi Metalhead,

We recently found out that using the Unleashed with the USB cable will disable Wifi on the camera. But only during the time you are actively using USB (ie the Unleashed and the small optional USB cable is plugged in, and app in active use). As soon as the app goes into the background, you turn off the smartphone screen, or you unplug the USB cable from the camera, You can use wifi again. However, if it was turned on before (and you were connected), using USB on the camera will first disable wifi entirely (greyed out Menu item) and when stop using USB, it will enable the menu item again, but Wifi will remain turned off until you turn it on in the camera menu again.

So if you unplug the Unleashed and cable from your camera, does the Menu item reappear?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
tophee

June 9th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Is this something that will (can?) be fixed in a firmware update?
Gasper

June 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

We don't think it can be fixed, as that is completely up to Nikon. As far as we've looked into it, the Wi-Fi module they are using is talking to the camera using the same USB connection as the USB plug, which means that as long as a device (Unleashed or a PC/Mac for that matter) has connected to the camera using USB in Camera mode (opposed to storage mode), the internal Wi-Fi module is disabled.
Gasper
Firmware & Android developer at Foolography
Metalhead

August 17th, 2019, 11:03 pm

Oliver wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm

So if you unplug the Unleashed and cable from your camera, does the Menu item reappear?
Sorry that I am answering so late. I have now additionally bought a D850.

The WiFi feature of my D750 remains grayed out, no matter what I do. The Unleashed is not connected for a long time and the USB cable was only a short time additionally connected for a functionally test. But maybe, it should be the reason for my problems. I do not remember exactly when the WiFi on the camera stopped working. But I can definitely say that it worked well before I bought and connect the Unleashed. I don't know what to do now.
jsgiunta

August 29th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Not sure if this will help, but I would also make sure the cards are not locked.

If you can see the "Wi-Fi" option, but can't access it because it is "greyed out" then I only currently know of four issues that can cause that.

1) weak battery = non-accessible option (option is grey, not white in color) It is possible that a non-Nikon battery might cause an issue. Without the chip in the Nikon battery, the camera might not be able to "read" the battery correctly. Also, batteries need to be fully charged, not partially.

2) memory card not installed in card slot number one (the top slot) = non-accessible option (option is grey, not white in color). I have had some weird things happen with certain menu settings and a solo card in slot #2. So, if your only card is in slot #2 and the camera isn't acting correctly, try slot #1. I haven't checked it, but a Eye-Fi card might cause an issue with the built-in wi-fi. Again... that is a very big maybe.

3) HDMI cable plugged into camera = non-accessible option (option is grey, not white in color)

4) USB cable plugged into camera = non-accessible option (option is grey, not white in color)