N2 trigger does sporadically not work [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Tourinature

November 18th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Dear Andy,

I experienced another issue on my N2: Even if I started the app and the small green lamp appeared within the app screen with the right indication of my D7100 camera, the trigger is not working sporadically. Only by closing and re-opening the app the feature turns back as it should.
Christian
N2, D7100, iOS12.1, USB cable plugged in
Andy

November 19th, 2018, 9:45 am

Hi Christian,

I need more information to be able to help you. What do you mean when you say that the trigger does not work? Does it display an error in the app or does it simply not trigger the camera when you press it?

If you're experiencing the latter, it's most likely that the camera simply can't shoot. On Nikon cameras, the Unleashed "presses" the shutter button. It's likely that if you press the shutter in the camera yourself it won't shoot either. This happens when, for example, you have auto-focus enabled, but the camera can't focus.

If you're experiencing different issues, please elaborate a bit more :) What settings are you shooting with, etc.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Tourinature

November 20th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Dear Andi,

I think the background for that issue could be a problem within the app: After closing and re-opening the app on iOS the button worked as it should. There was no change at all on the camera or on ambient light etc. The only strange thing I experienced is the fact that the app was started before the problem only a couple of minutes ago and there was not so much action in total before the trigger was stuck.

I will keep you updated whenever I could understand a little more the conditions or background when the problem occurs.

Best regards,
Christian
Andy

November 21st, 2018, 9:05 am

I still don't understand what you mean with "the trigger does not work". What does that mean?
  • Is the trigger grayed out? If so, what error does it show?
  • Is the trigger displayed normally, but when you press it nothing happens?
Andy
Tourinature

November 24th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Dear Andy,

the trigger button is just the button with the app where you could take a picture within the photo section of the app. This time the connection between the camera and the app was broken down again: The camera was since the last try out all the time on and stayed at home, but the iPhone was with me, that why the connection was surely interrupted many times. The app was all the time open, but in the background of my iOS. When I putted the Unleashed in the front there was no connection possible to the camera, the light was red within the app. After closing the app and reopening, the connection was set again without any problems.

Best regards,
Christian
Oliver

November 26th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Hi,

our App developers are working on some reconnection issues. It will be improved in the next app updates!

The LED on the Unleashed is yellow if it's not connected, and turquoise when it's connected. So for now, when you see the LED to be yellow, you'll have to quickly open the app to reconnect.
instead of closing and reopening the app, you can also go to the "Your Unleasheds" screen (the Unleashed settings icon at the bottom of the App Menu), disable and re-enable your unleashed using the switch there.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Tourinature

November 27th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Dear Oliver,

today I did another try out after having the camera OFF for a couple of days. Again the automatic connection was missing so I tried the workaround you suggested:

After turning off the button within my unleasheds list nothing changed. Still the connection was missing, the turquoise and the amber led light was blinking as before. I tried that feature five times without any change, then I closed the app on my iOS. After the restart of the app it took a couple of seconds! (not only ms) but finally the unleashed was reconnected.

Best regards,
Christian
Tourinature

November 28th, 2018, 12:11 am

After the successful reconnection the next trial focus was on the cameras T and bulb mode with manual focus:

With the T setting the trigger button was working quite unsteadily, in some cases the touched button was leading immediately to the opening or closing of the shutter as it should. But in other cases I needed to touch the same button several times until the shutter state change was done. Even with a constant touch of the button the delay time for opening and closing of the shutter was quite different => from some milliseconds to ca. 1 second, according to the attempt!

On the UI of the button I recognized also various behaviors: The outer ring of the button should be amber if the shutter is open, I imagine. In some case the shutter was obviously open but the color change of the outer ring was only changing after a quite long delay (milliseconds to approximately one second).

In any cases the inner filled button reacts every time, that was also the sign for me that there should be a reaction on unleashed / camera side. But quite often the outer ring color change and also the camera reaction did not occur. The distance between the phone and the camera was on a constant distance of round about 1 meter during the whole session.

There might be one of the following phenomena:
1. Quite a big range of signal transfer times between the phone and the camera which could lead to different reaction times
2. Unstable recognition of the trigger signal on UI side. As I described it before there was in any case a sudden diameter change of the inner white filled circle. But for fast touches only in rare cases the outer ring changed the color to amber. And even with triggering the camera shutter (noise) the outer ring changed in rare cases only after a quite long time (ca. 1 sec). Please see also comment at the beginning of this reply, regarding the reaction of the UI and the camera for constant touches of the button.

Best regards,
Christian
Andy

November 28th, 2018, 11:19 am

Hi Christian,

There are some known issues when triggering with the camera on T- and Bulb mode (check known issues). The fixes for these will come in a couple of weeks with an app update.

Do you have other problems besides trigger in those modes?
Andy
Tourinature

November 28th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Hi Andi,
basically there are three major problems:
1. The automatic reconnection does not work every time, in some cases a closing and reopening of the app is necessary. No improvement of the problem only by OFF/ON button within the unleashed list.
2. The GPS signal is not stable transferred to the camera, especially within the first three pictures if I trigger constantly in a row.
3. The trigger button, mainly in bulb and T-mode, but in some cases also in normal picture mode with only short opening times. Could be also a not constant and in those cases quite long delay within the handshake between the unleashed and the phone app. Please consider also the several seconds lasting reconnection when I closed last time the app for reconnection (it was for sure not done within several hundred milliseconds).
I would appreciate it very much if the first bug fix would be available before new year because I will travel and a lot of pictures should be done with the great new Unleashed functions... Do you have any planned time frame for the update?
Best regards,
Christian