Help - Unleashed does not connect (again) [solved in app update 1.3.7]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
klassm

September 18th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Hi,

I am currently on vacation in the US and got my Unleashed with me. Until today in the morning everything worked great - then I had to swap the battery.

From then on the Unleashed does not seem to be able to connect to the phone anymore. I can just see a yellow light and a red light, each for a second or so.

When I forget the unleashed in the phone and search for it again, I can see the Unleashed with serial number 003003 - but when I click it I cannot connect to it. (It is shown for pairing, but when you click it the progress indicator spins for some time, then just goes back to "click to pair" without an error message. When you say "done" the unleashed is shown as disconnected)

Removing and inserting the battery does not change anything (in the photo), force closing the app does not help anything. Removing all app data also does not change anything.

Do you have more ideas what I could try?

Somehow the whole connection process still feels really unstable -.-

Matthias

P.S.: Camera is Nikon D750, phone is a pixel 3 with Android 10 (could Android 10 be the problem? But it worked with it already...). Firmware version - I cannot see it any more because I don't get a connection, but it should be the latest available version.

Edit: Other stuff that does not help:
- restart the phone
- removing the battery for 5 minutes
- loading the other battery and switching back
- removing the unleashed for some minutes and stick it back in

Also: I used the WiFi feature beforehand - maybe this broke my Unleashed? (I used it before and until now it still connected...)
klassm

September 19th, 2019, 4:19 pm

After waiting a night I can now connect the Unleashed again. I guess this issue will come back, but for now I have a connection again.

However, now (after reinstalling the app) it says location data access denied - even though the location permission has been granted (I can also see it in the app settings in the Android settings). This now looks like an Android 10 issue ...

Edit: Looks like I found a workaround - delete the app data, go to the app permissions, grant both permissions from there. Then open the app and pair the unleashed anew. Then it looks like the error is gone.

I feel like a beta tester ...
Oliver

September 19th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble.

To be honest, we haven't started testing with Android 10, but were not aware of any changes in the technologies we were using.

Now that you found a workaround, can you also reproduce the problem? Our Android developers will look into it. But without a sure way to get the problem, it's always very difficult to find and then fix these kind of problems...

To be sure, you need the Location Permission for the app, but also Location to be on. This is being done because of Bluetooth Beacons being used to determine location - so Google is merging a lot of Bluetooth stuff with the Location, leading to many misunderstandings for the user... Unfortunately this changes depending on Android version as well as Phone Manufacturer - even some of the Manufacturers are misunderstanding it ;-)

anyway, if you can find a way to reproduce the issue, and send us a screenrecording, that would be very helpful!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
klassm

September 19th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Hi Oliver,

No - for now I don't want to reproduce it. I bought it to just work - especially during vacation. So I don't want to break the setup now.

Actually I expect it to break again as soon as I change the battery... And I still don't know why it did not connect any more after the battery change (and I don't have a working workaround for this expect waiting for a night...)

Again ... Please test your stuff. Please don't expect me to do all the beta testing for you. This product was too expensive to just not work.

Matthias
klassm

September 21st, 2019, 11:48 pm

Hi Oliver,

It is broken again. I don't get any connection to my Unleashed, trying every hour or so for the whole day. Nothing. Phone restart - doesn't help. App data deleted - doesn't help.

The Unleashed shows up for pairing, but when you click that tap to pair button, the progress bar renders, but disappears after some time again. No connection. While trying that the Unleashed is blinking red and yellow, no turquoise.

What should I do now? Currently it seems completely broken.

Thanks
Matthias

Edit: one day later, still no connection. App reinstall - nothing. BTW: trying to pair via the Android system Bluetooth menu has the same result. The device shows up but cannot be paired (it tries but fails).
klassm

September 22nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

And as it is still not working - I managed to get a screen recording:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PXqb8Sm1tqbykErv6
I hope you can access it.

Within the video I also tried to pair via the System bluetooth menu - somehow I did not manage to get it to view there. Don't know why - I'll try again later.

Does the video help that way?

Btw: I have this error with the latest version of the Android app with the latest firmware installed on the Unleashed.

Edit: here's the video with the Android system menu:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3M9MxHo9RW18QScg8
Oliver

September 25th, 2019, 12:28 pm

:-/

I'm really sorry, but we haven't seen this behaviour before!

Do you have the possibility to test with another Smartphone? Just to see if the Unleashed (and it's firmware) is working correctly, and doesn't have any issues?

Then we can focus on looking for the issue on the right side: either Hardware, Firmware or App.

Our Android guys are already looking at changes that came with Android 10 to see if something there might be the cause of the issue.

btw: the Unleashed should never be paired over the System Settings - only from the app. It doesn't seem to be your problem at the moment, but just so you (and others) know: don't (try to) pair it anywhere except in the app. If you did manage to pair it in the phone's system settings, please unpair it there.

Sorry again for the trouble.
klassm

September 25th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the answer. I just tried it with a OnePlus 6 with Android 9 - that one works. So this really seems to be an Android 10 issue breaking everything.

Matthias
Oliver

September 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm

OK, That's good to hear.
Are you on the latest app version on both devices?
There was a change in 1.3.3 which broke something to do with the GPS Permissions , which was fixed again in 1.3.4. This update was released on the 19th of September, so after you started this thread.
Location Permissions unfortunately include the permission to search for Bluetooth devices, so this could be related to your problem.
And this could also have become worse in new ways in Android 10. But one of our Android Developers looked into what changed in this regard, and could not yet find anything that should have any impact. All changes that were made should already be covered with the same permissions as in Android 9...
But I guess we'll have to look some more! :-/
klassm

September 27th, 2019, 4:38 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the update. Yes, both phones are one the latest Unleashed versions.
However. Before the last update I could sometimes connect. With the latest update I can never connect.

Is there a chance to send you some debug logs to help you in finding the issue?

The OnePlus phone is not my phone, I just lent it for trying it out.

Matthias