No GPS geo-tagging when using Samsung S10 [solved in app update 1.3.7]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
marcin

February 4th, 2020, 8:59 am

Hi,
I just got my N2 yesterday. I plugged it into my D90 and followed set-up. The system detected N2 quickly and correctly. I was than prompt to update the dongle to the latest firmware, what I did. Generally, the app works fine, but I'm not able to pass the GPS signal to camera (non of the picture is geo tagged regardless if I use only the dongle or the dongle with the cable, or whether I shoots photos using an app or camera).
App shows red exclamation mark saying that "Location data not available, waiting for GPS fix".
The S10 mobile has for sure a signal fixed. I installed a sensor app showing the status of all the sensors and i clearly see that GPS works continuously and correctly. All permissions are also set-up correctly (Unleashed is listed as an app having access to Location data). I installed and re-installed the up with no success. The app version is 1.3.6.

I did a quick test on my wife's iPhone (i believe it is 8th generation) and geotagging worked with no issue.

It seems to be that it is some software issue. So, how i can get the app to be working properly on my S10? Remote operation of a camera is a nice add-on IMO, but the primary reason for me ordering the dongle was to be able to geo-tag the pictures.

A side comment regarding the design.
I like how tightly the dongle sits in the camera and how little it sticks out. But, I use my d90 exclusively with battery grip MB-80. This grip widens up a little bit at its bottom section. Consequently, there is no possibility to attached the cable once the dongle is inserted without removing either the dongle (which is not so easy since it is sitting so tightly and it is so small), or removing the entire grip. Once the cable is attached, the dongle can't be fully inserted and the cable connection is clearly fighting for a space with the grip. Once inserted the with the cable and having MB-80 attached, the dongle is being pushed a little bit up. This is worries me since the connection port (matter-board plate) is not very strong and I was already replacing it once - not cheap either.
You should consider making the connector on the cable less bulky or at least shaped in a way that it is still fitting battery grips.
marcin

February 5th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Hi,
I would be grateful for any feedback here.
I have sent an email with my account email on android, system version on mobile type hoping that I will get an invitation to test beta version (and really hoping that this will work).

I went through this forum yesterday and I saw that many users struggled to get the unleashed work on android 10. Considering that I have just got my product 2 days ago, and having a proven and robust solution may take some time, I'm strongly considering returning the product since it is not really working as expected.

Best regards,
Marcin
Oliver

February 5th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Hi Marcin,

I've just invited you to the Beta and sent you an email with some details on how to accept the invitation.

Sorry for the trouble - I think the Beta app will fix your issues (it did for klassm who opened another thread about geotagging)

Let me know either way!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
marcin

February 5th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Hello Oliver,
I have just installed the beta software.
I haven't yet tested all the other features, but the GPS and geotagging works PERFECTLY. I will let you know tomorrow how the other features work.
Thanks!
Marcin
Oliver

February 7th, 2020, 11:24 am

That's great to hear!
Thanks for the feedback!
knucklefist

March 25th, 2020, 12:37 am

Just got my N2 today. I have the same GPS issue on my Samsung 10+, how do I get the beta app?
Oliver

March 25th, 2020, 9:09 am

Hi, Send me your google PlayStore Emailaddress to beta@foolography.com, and I'll send you an invite.