N1: USB is not active [hardware defect]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Stephan

April 12th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Get the above message in the app when trying to change metering on D800.
Message in App is changing from:
Metering is not available.
USB cable is unplugged.
Plug in USB cable.

to
Metering is not available.
USB is not active.

as soon as the cable is plugged into the N1.
Plugging it into the D800 doesn't change the last message.
Thought the USB-Port on my D800 might be faulty but it does work otherwise.
Tried it with my D3, same messages!

broken N1 or cable?

Any hints?

PS: Of course newest firmware (A 1.4.4 / B 1.4.9 / C 1.4.0)
Oliver

April 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Hi and sorry for the trouble!
Is this issue new? ie did it work as expected before?

There is one simple thing you can try: pull up the plug going into the unleashed by 0.5mm or so (just a tiny bit). We've seen a few plugs that have the pins sticking out of the bottom ever so much, and theres a very small chance one of them can touch something inside the Unleashed causing this errormessage.

Otherwise, yes, it could be either the cable or the Unleashed (or rather the socket in the Unleashed).
But the D800 and D3 have different sockets, do you have two different cables, or did you use an adapter? If so, which cable do you have? Mini or Micro USB?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Stephan

April 13th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Yes, issue is new, but I can not state since when. Didn't use these features for a long time (Photo review also not working)

I plugged it in very slowly but it switched directly from "USB cable is unplugged" to "USB is not active" after about 2/3 the possible depth.
Gently unplugging it triggers the same behaviour.

I have the micro cable for the D800 and use an adaptor for the D3 (which is not recognised at all, type is shown as serial-# of the N1, GPS is working though!)
Oliver

April 14th, 2020, 11:48 am

OK, one more thing we can try before we send you a new cable:
If you used the unleashed without a cable most of the time before, the socket was open, and it's possible that something fell into it. you can hold it upside down and blow into the socket hole, or if you have compressed air, use that instead.
I'ts also possible that moisture got in, and the contacts for the usb cable got a little corroded. in this case, you can try just inserting & removing the cable multiple times, with the hope that this will remove the corrosion and allow a proper contact again.

But of course it's possible that the cable is broken. Oh, one more thing: What's your Unleasheds serial number? we had an issue with a component from the batch used in the first production round. This could cause your issue as well, and you'd need to send in your Unleashed for us to check/repair/replace.

Yes, the D3 requires a cable for everything other than triggering, GPS and simple timelapses. The feature list for which the cable is required includes getting the camera name! ;-)
Stephan

April 14th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Well, for me, one hour of using my stuff is followed by two hours of cleaning....but I checked...to no avail...

Serial is 206...first batch I assume....
Oliver

April 14th, 2020, 5:00 pm

OK. That's definitely the first batch.

Can you send it in to us? you can send it as a normal letter, just the unleashed in a padded envelope, no need for the box.

We'll have a look and either repair or replace it!
Please send it to

Foolography GmbH
Liselotte-Herrmann-Str. 36
10407 Berlin

and add a note referencing this Forum post.
Thanks!
Stephan

April 14th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Should I send it with or without the USB-cable?
Oliver

April 16th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Best send both, just in case!
nlangsto

April 20th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I am thrilled to see this Forum and all the various things to try! I went through the various things you recommended the other owner to try. Would it be helpful if I did a screen recording of what is happening on the screen of my phone as I try to use my Unleashed N1? Also just for reference. My camera is a Nikon D3 I just installed the most recent update on the Unleashed and I was thrilled that it might just be the cure I was looking for! But unfortunately not. In where you design these and build them in Germany, Do you have a Nikon D3 to test them on?

Thanks,
Nathaniel
Oliver

April 22nd, 2020, 10:57 am

Hi Nathaniel,
I just wrote you an email - yes, a screen recording would be helpful.

We don't have the D3 here, but know of several customers using D3's without any issues. We have a D300 here for testing, which behaves exactly the same (concerning the Unleashed), as the two cameras were developed at the same time.