BT-Verbindung mit QStarz BL-1000ST

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

July 13th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Hmm, OK, das klingt beides nach einer ähnlichen Ursache: wenn das modul was für die verbindung zum GPS zuständig ist, nicht die Info bekommt, dass die Kamera aktiv ist, dann wird nach einer stunde die verbindung abgebaut, oder wenn keine da ist, dann auch entsprechend keine aufgebaut. Ich vermute daran wird es liegen. Die Info füge ich unserem Ticket hinzu, was unsere Entwickler schon für das Problem haben, dann können wir da nochmal direkter nach schauen!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
FrankU

July 13th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Heute mal wieder!!!!!!!!!!! Nur beim ersten Bild, dann ok.

LG
Frank
Attachments
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (227.67 KiB) Viewed 10924 times
Oliver

July 15th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Da kann ich nur von ausgehen, dass wir diese Daten auch so vom GPS bekommen!
ich werde die Kondition nochmal überprüfen, wann wir Daten als "Gut" akzeptieren. Ich könnte evtl. für das Datum nur ein gewisses Zeitfenster erlauben, würde mich aber gleichzeitig freuen, wenn unser Unleashed in 2091 immer noch funktioniert. aber zumindest Daten in der Vergangenheit könnten wir ausschliessen.

Aber wenn uns das GPS Daten gibt, und gleichzeitig sagt, dass diese gut sind, dann müssen wir diesen Daten auch glauben.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

July 15th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Hi Foolography Team,

I have been reading the posts in this thread, and something popped into my mind...
Could it be that it is possible that one of the satellites on which the external GPS (QStarz BT-1000ST) has a fixed locked is giving out bad data and thus puts out corrupt data to the Unleashed?
or:
Could it be that by re-establishing the Bluetooth connection, the first few received location data from the external GPS (QStarz BT-1000ST) is corrupt?

It sounds like a problem that does not always take place in a continues pattern, but in exceptional cases causes corrupt data to be stored in the EXIF data of the photo. That is hard to reproduce for debugging.

Does the Unleashed middle out the date/time received from all data handed out by an external GPS device?
Does the Unleashed middle out the location received from all data handed out by an external GPS device?

Maybe some "date/time fencing" and "location fencing" could be a possible solution to drop all invalid data that is outside of the "fence" (boundaries) of a certain time frame and location frame. Just as Geo-fencing works, detecting in range and out of range boundaries.

Maybe it is also possible to re-route the data coming from the external GPS device to the Unleashed App from the Unleashed itself? Or maybe it is possible to re-route the data coming from the external GPS device first to the Unleashed App and then forward it to the Unleashed itself, making the Unleashed App the man-in-the-middle so that the GPS data can be logged for debugging purposes. Then you will know for sure if it is the external GPS device, the Unleashed App, the Unleashed hardware or the camera not processing the incoming data correctly.

Is it also possible to have a double check on the camera date/time stamp and the received date/time stamp from the Unleashed, and detect if there is a huge gap between those stamps?
Can you fetch the date/time stamp from the camera and use that in the Unleashed? By that you could correct the incoming/received date/time stamp from the external GPS device before it is written into the EXIF data of the camera.

It would be a "nice to have feature" when a second Bluetooth connection could be established from the Unleashed hardware to the Unleashed App on the smartphone for logging purposes only. So you can see what is being received by the Unleashed hardware as incoming data. Setting the Unleashed App and Unleashed hardware in debugging mode, if possible?

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
FrankU

July 15th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Hallo,

die GPS-Daten werden direkt vom Qstarz an den Unleashed ohne Umweg über die App geleitet. Die App ist auch gar nicht eingeschaltet. Wenn ich mir den Track des Qstarz anschaue, ist kein Ausreisser nach z.B. 2091 zu sehen.

LG
Unfoolishly

July 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Hi Frank & Foolography Team,

Thanks for clarifying this. So, it is not the Unleashed App or the smartphone BT connection. It could be (but I doubt that actually) that in the BT connection and reconnection some hiccup occurs that causes the first location storage in the photo to contain a wrong GPS data. It could be in the BT connection/reconnection between the Unleashed and external GPS device that messes up the location. Otherwise the hiccup is in the communication between the two microprocessors within the Unleashed or the hiccup is between the Unleashed and the camera. I hardly doubt if the firmware of the camera itself could contain a bug that causes this, but nothing can be excluded for sure until proven otherwise.
Wonderful would be if you could connect with the smartphone to the Unleashed (using a second BT LE connection), next to the external GPS device and fetch the received GPS data from the external GPS device that is directly inserted into the Unleashed and transmit that to the Unleashed App for diagnosing what the Unleashed actually receives from the external GPS device. It is not excluded from errors that the log file in the external GPS receiver contains the same data as what is sent over the Bluetooth connection of the GPS receiver. The data doesn't have to be the same, although that would be a firmware issue within the BT stack of the GPS device itself. I am guessing that is not the case, but it could be an exceptional case if you do not exclude it by monitoring it to see if it works 100% correctly. That is: if the Unleashed receives the correct data compared to as what is logged inside the GPS receiver itself.
As many have seen in the past, not all Bluetooth GPS devices (the BT classic ones) outputted the data correctly and the Foolography team had to anticipate to these errors within the firmware of the old Unleashed (2009). It's still tricky.

Greeting,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
FrankU

July 16th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Hi Unfoolishly,

ich werde meinen WBT-202 GPS-Logger parallel zum Qstarz über das Smartphone und die App laufen lassen. Dann sehen wir weiter.

LG
Frank
Unfoolishly

July 16th, 2020, 8:19 pm

FrankU wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 5:45 pm
ich werde meinen WBT-202 GPS-Logger parallel zum Qstarz über das Smartphone und die App laufen lassen. Dann sehen wir weiter.
Hi Frank, Foolography Team,

This is actually quite a good idea. You could also unpair the QStarz GPS receiver from the Unleashed and use that one indirectly as well (thus through the Unleashed App with the BT LE connection from the smartphone, pairing the GPS device to the smartphone and the smartphone to the Unleashed). When you get in both cases the same results, you can safely assume that the BT LE implementation of the smartphone works correctly with the BT LE implementation of the Unleashed, without any hiccups. Then the cause can be found in either the BT LE firmware implementation of the QStarz GPS Receiver or the Unleashed firmware. At least you can exclude certain failure scenario's.

I am not sure if the WBT-202 GPS logger can be used from the Unleashed App, because that logger is a BT classic device, not a BT Low Energy device. I am not sure if the Unleashed App can read from BT classic and forward the data directly to the BT LE output of the smartphone. But you could pair the QStarz BT LE device with the smartphone and use that in the Unleashed App. At least: AFAIK :-)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
FrankU

July 17th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Hi Unfoolishly,

doch es funktioniert mit dem WBT-202 über den Umweg mit der App "Bluetooth GPS" und da muss der Haken an "Enable Mock GPS Provider" gesetzt sein. Beim Smartphone muss die Standort App ausgeschaltet sein. Die GPS Daten des WBT-202 werden dann über die Unleashed App an den Unleashed gesendet. Das habe ich praktiziert bevor ich den Qstarz hatte und es funktionierte gut.

Es muss halt immer beim Smartphone die App eingeschaltet sein und das will ich ja vermeiden.

Nur im Moment habe ich keine Zeit einen Vergleich anzustellen.

LG
Frank
Unfoolishly

July 17th, 2020, 6:08 pm

FrankU wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 5:43 pm
Hi Unfoolishly,

doch es funktioniert mit dem WBT-202 über den Umweg mit der App "Bluetooth GPS" und da muss der Haken an "Enable Mock GPS Provider" gesetzt sein. Beim Smartphone muss die Standort App ausgeschaltet sein. Die GPS Daten des WBT-202 werden dann über die Unleashed App an den Unleashed gesendet. Das habe ich praktiziert bevor ich den Qstarz hatte und es funktionierte gut.

Es muss halt immer beim Smartphone die App eingeschaltet sein und das will ich ja vermeiden.
Hi Frank,
I learned something new today. I am going to test this out with my Bluetooth classic GPS receiver: QStarz Travel Recorder XT (BT-Q1000XT). Then that must work also with the Unleashed App as a GPS provider, BT classic to BT Low Energy using the App "Bluetooth GPS" (from GG MobLab) and the Unleashed App.

Thanks for sharing!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly