BT-Verbindung mit QStarz BL-1000ST

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

July 23rd, 2020, 1:07 am

Ich mach auch mal auf Deutsch weiter, da wir so gestartet haben.

Korrekt, nach dem Pairing wird die Verbindung direkt mit dem GPS aufgebaut, damit hat das Handy dann gar nichts mehr zu tun.

Somit kann es nur sein, dass das GPS die falschen Daten per Bluetooth liefert, bzw. falsche Daten als "Richtig" Markiert, oder wir falsche Daten fälschlich als Richtig interpretieren.

Gerade am Anfang wenn man das GPS anschaltet, schickt es auf jeden Fall falsche Daten. Diese sollten allerdings auch als solche markiert. Wie gesagt, werden wir uns nochmal die Erkennung dieser Markierung anschauen, ob uns da etwas durch die Lappen gegangen ist.

Hast Du evtl die Log-datei bei der die letzten falschen Daten in deine Fotos gekommen sind? Wenn wir Glück haben, speichert der Qstarz die falschen Daten auch auf. Ich bräuchte idealerweise genau das, was auf der SD Karte gespeichert wurde, nicht etwa eine konvertierte GPX datei oder so.

Vielen Dank!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
FrankU

July 23rd, 2020, 1:22 pm

Hallo Oliver,

anbei 3 files vom 18.07.2020, bei der Uhrzeit 19:49:58 wurde wieder GPS 0°0'0.162" N 0°0'0" E eingetragen, die Uhrzeit war richtig. Die files vom 13.07.2020 hab ich nicht mehr.

Habe die files rar komprimiert.

LG
Frank
Attachments
GPSLog.rar
(233.06 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
FrankU

September 9th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Langsam bin ich es leid. Heute wieder 3 Stunden auf die Verbindung Qstarz mit der Kamera gewartet, es gab einfach keine Verbindung. Dann habe ich meinen WBT-202 über die App Bluetooth GPS wieder mit dem Handy verbunden, am Handy die Unleashed-App gestartet (die lässt sich oft auch viel Zeit mit der Verbindung zur Kamera) und siehe da, die GPS Daten waren sofort auf der Kamera, Nikon D850, verfügbar.

Ist zwar etwas umständlich, aber es funktioniert. Da hätte ich mir den Kauf des Qstarz schenken können. Meine Vermutung ist, dass das Low-Energie BT Schwierigkeiten macht.

Da ja der WBT-202 immer mitläuft, kann ich natürlich ganz bequem hinterher auch mit Lightroom taggen.

LG
Frank
Unfoolishly

September 9th, 2020, 11:19 pm

FrankU wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Langsam bin ich es leid. Heute wieder 3 Stunden auf die Verbindung Qstarz mit der Kamera gewartet, es gab einfach keine Verbindung. Dann habe ich meinen WBT-202 über die App Bluetooth GPS wieder mit dem Handy verbunden, am Handy die Unleashed-App gestartet (die lässt sich oft auch viel Zeit mit der Verbindung zur Kamera) und siehe da, die GPS Daten waren sofort auf der Kamera, Nikon D850, verfügbar.

Ist zwar etwas umständlich, aber es funktioniert. Da hätte ich mir den Kauf des Qstarz schenken können. Meine Vermutung ist, dass das Low-Energie BT Schwierigkeiten macht.

Da ja der WBT-202 immer mitläuft, kann ich natürlich ganz bequem hinterher auch mit Lightroom taggen.

LG
Frank
Hi Frank, Oliver, Andy,

Same here. The QStarz has some weird protocol standard and its logs are different as the previous QStarz BT Classic GPS devices. So in that sense, it sure would help that the Unleashed App does record the GPS coordinates in a GPS log file, like the old GPS devices do. I don't like what they did with the new QStarz BL-1000ST concerning the new log format. If only I had know this beforehand, I sure would not have chosen to buy a BT Low Energy GPS device from QStarz for this kind of GPS support.

I am not sure if these problems are BT Low Energy problems. Do all other supported GPS devices have the same problem, or is it just QStarz GPS devices that cause trouble?
In this blog post, other GPS devices are mentioned as well.
If I had know this, I would have bought myself a Transystem GL-770 instead.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 10th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Small update about this:

We fixed a bug internally regarding accessory connections. The Unleashed disconnects all accessories when it goes to sleep (to save power), but unfortunately it didn't reconnect to them when it woke up. This behavior is fixed now and the Unleashed reconnects to whatever accessory was connected before going to sleep.

Unfortunately I can't give you a release date for the fix, since the next update will be a major update and we still have things left to do.

There is a workaround for this, but it's not nice. If you notice that the GPS is disconnected, but should be connected, you need to unpair it and pair it again. I know it's ugly but that works for now.

Sorry for not having better news.

Regarding the bad GPS data, I just created an internal ticket for this and will take a look into it soon. I'm not a native German speaker so I usually don't read posts in German in detail, especially if Oliver has already replied, so I wasn't aware of this issue.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

September 10th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Andy wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 1:09 pm
Small update about this:

We fixed a bug internally regarding accessory connections. The Unleashed disconnects all accessories when it goes to sleep (to save power), but unfortunately it didn't reconnect to them when it woke up. This behavior is fixed now and the Unleashed reconnects to whatever accessory was connected before going to sleep.

Unfortunately I can't give you a release date for the fix, since the next update will be a major update and we still have things left to do.
Hi Andy,
Is it possible to do a release with just bug fixes and no new features? I noticed a few bugs already which I addressed earlier in some other posts. That way the Unleashed users don't have to wait so long to get it solved for their situation.

Maybe a new release model could do the trick? Like this:

Major - New features release
Minor - Bug fixes release

Maybe just release in a predictive update release schedule will benefit Unleashed users better, like the Patch Tuesday of Microsoft products. That way the users don't have to wait so long for some bugfixing that makes their lives less frustrated due to these discovered bugs?

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 10th, 2020, 2:58 pm

That's the idea, but unfortunately a lot of those bugs were fixed on top of a new architecture, so the bugs would need to be fixed in a different way in the architecture of the firmware that is currently public (in particular some intervalometer/autoramp bugs, since that part was completely rewritten). I think it's best to just put our efforts into finalizing the major update than spending time doing small ports to the current firmware.

We hope to release the new stuff "soon" though.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

September 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Andy wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 2:58 pm
That's the idea, but unfortunately a lot of those bugs were fixed on top of a new architecture, so the bugs would need to be fixed in a different way in the architecture of the firmware that is currently public (in particular some intervalometer/autoramp bugs, since that part was completely rewritten). I think it's best to just put our efforts into finalizing the major update than spending time doing small ports to the current firmware.

We hope to release the new stuff "soon" though.
Aha, I see. This is new information for me: "on top of a new architecture". That makes it somewhat different. You can still fix the bugs in the current firmware, but these will be abandoned anyway with the new firmware. That is only double work, but wasted time efforts.

I really do hope to see the new architecture release "soon", so we users of the Unleasheds are no longer stuck with the current situation. Especially with the new QStarz BT LE GPS receivers. That is a pain in the b*tt.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
FrankU

March 31st, 2021, 1:43 pm

Hole den Thread noch mal hoch. Trotz neuer Firmware beim Qstarz hat sich nicht viel gebessert. Der Timeout ist immer noch da. Verbinde ich den WBT-202 über Bluetooth GPS mit dem Handy ist alles ok.

Alles in Allem ist die ganze Sache unerfreulich.

LG
Frank
Unfoolishly

April 1st, 2021, 12:36 pm

FrankU wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 1:43 pm
Hole den Thread noch mal hoch. Trotz neuer Firmware beim Qstarz hat sich nicht viel gebessert. Der Timeout ist immer noch da. Verbinde ich den WBT-202 über Bluetooth GPS mit dem Handy ist alles ok.

Alles in Allem ist die ganze Sache unerfreulich.

LG
Frank
Hi Frank,

If this was an April's-fool joke I could laugh about it. Sadly, it isn't :-(
I don't believe this will be fixed.

Take care!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly