Provided GPS location is 1.3km off my actual position

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
toorude

October 20th, 2018, 1:47 pm

The GPS location implemented in my pictures is not correct, although I have enabled exact GPS location in my smartphone. The implemented GPS data refer to a location, which is aprrox. 1.3km northwest of my actual position. I cannot figure out why this happens. However, when I open the Google Maps App on my smartphone, it shows my correct location, so my smartphone GPS exactly knows my correct position. However, when I open the embedded GPS location of the picture in the Map Module of Adobe LR CC Classic 7.5, the wrong location is shown. Likewise, when I search for the embedded GPS coordinates manually in Google Maps (I manually type in the picture coordinates in Google Maps), the wrong location shows up. The same wrong GPS data are embedded in the pictures regardless if the smartphone is connected via WLAN or the WLAN is switched off.
Why are no correct GPS positions transferred and embedded in my pictures?

To sum it up: The GPS data currently won't work for me, and this is the main reason why I got the Unleashed.
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
diviner

October 20th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Speaking as a (soon to be) user, my immediate thought is that it may be a mismatch of GPS Datum somewhere along the line from your phone to the Unleashed to the photo metadata to the application you are using to look up the location. Where along the line the problem is appearing I cannot say, but that would be where I would start looking.

(For those that don't know, the "GPS Datum" identifies which particular simple geometric spheroid to use as an approximation to the not-very-purely-geometric shape of the planet. To see a good example of the problems that can happen if you use the wrong GPS Datum, look at https://www.google.com/maps/@31.2407066 ... a=!3m1!1e3 which shows map data for Shanghai using one Datum overlaid on aerial photography using a different datum.)

Ian, Camberley, UK
Ian Gordon
Camberley, UK (within a few km of https://w3w.co/music.bracelet.leathers
)
Kickstarter backer
Canon EOS100D
Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016), Android 7.0
toorude

November 15th, 2018, 2:40 pm

diviner wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 7:36 pm
Speaking as a (soon to be) user, my immediate thought is that it may be a mismatch of GPS Datum somewhere along the line from your phone to the Unleashed to the photo metadata to the application you are using to look up the location. Where along the line the problem is appearing I cannot say, but that would be where I would start looking.
Definitely not, because the GPS coordinates stored in the pics seem to vary randomly. No idea what this is. However, my new phone (Pixel 3) does not have this issue, here the coordinates are always more or less correct (not as exact as with my external GPS, however, which I cannot use anymore with the Unleashed).
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
Andy

November 15th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Is the problem still present in the latest version of the Android app (on the other phone)? It might be a phone specific problem.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography