Auto ramp : what I have done wrong ?

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Andy

August 10th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Hi Jamy82,

I am currently testing your setup and I did find one issue. You mentioned that this was your setup:

Code: Select all

|   TV   |  AV  | ISO
             -----------------------
     Initial |   1,6  | F8   | 2500
  Day limits | 1/8000 | F11  | 100
Night limits |    8   | F6.4 | 1600
Your initial ISO was outside the limits you set in the app. I am yet to determine how/if this causes issues in the latest firmware, but I thought I should let you know. Perhaps we should prevent this from happening in the app.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Jamy82

August 19th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Hi Unleashed Team

I am back !

Yes my setup re ISO was ridiculous and may explain the issue I faced
Another test this early morning; the device made the job
I tested auto ramping with carefully setting valid parameters
I noticed afterwards that :
- ISO has been changed first
-Then Aperture
- and finally shutter speed
Is this the regular 'behaviour' ?

Just one question : what is the impact and maening of 'Adjustment'

Have a good day !

JM
Andy

August 19th, 2020, 2:46 pm

I noticed afterwards that :
-Then Aperture

Yes.
When the Unleashed needs to decrease the exposure, it does so by reducing ISO first, then closing the aperture and finally moves to faster shutter speeds.
Similarly, when the Unleashed needs to increase the exposure, it moves to slower shutter speeds first, then opens up the aperture, and finally increases ISO as a last resource.

We plan on allowing to set the order in which the Unleashed adjusts the settings in the future.

----------------------------
Just one question : what is the impact and maening of 'Adjustment'
It allows you to manually offset what the Unleashed / camera consider the ideal exposure.
Andy
Unfoolishly

August 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Andy wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 2:46 pm
Jamy82 wrote:I noticed afterwards that :
-Then Aperture
Yes.
When the Unleashed needs to decrease the exposure, it does so by reducing ISO first, then closing the aperture and finally moves to faster shutter speeds.
Similarly, when the Unleashed needs to increase the exposure, it moves to slower shutter speeds first, then opens up the aperture, and finally increases ISO as a last resource.

We plan on allowing to set the order in which the Unleashed adjusts the settings in the future.
Note on the adjustments part:
That is very complex, because it needs different algorithms to have a decent auto ramp when the customer can influence the order of the settings in the autoramp.
See: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/true-h ... o-ramping/

I hope you know what you are getting yourselves into as developers. It's challenging to develop this correctly when algorithms are 'shaken around'.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

August 19th, 2020, 4:17 pm

I read the article/tutorial but all it talks about is the consequences of aperture differences due to mechanical limitations.
Andy
Unfoolishly

August 19th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Andy wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 4:17 pm
I read the article/tutorial but all it talks about is the consequences of aperture differences due to mechanical limitations.
What the article notices/expresses is the creation of a flicker-free 3-way ramping (using: exposure time, ISO and aperture).
Do you think you can create perfect algorithms to do this softwarematic only, while allowing the user to switch the order of the 3-way ramping settings? If so, I do a deep bow to you as a retired software developer. If not, I'll say to you: told you so: it's REALLY complex! ;-)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!