Unable to Use Rear Monitor while Unleashed Is Plugged in [solved: hardware defect]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Andy

October 12th, 2020, 10:54 am

Hi slp,

It looks to me like your Unleashed has a hardware issue. Have you had it for a long time now or did you just get it? We have had a handful of users with that problem and from what I can tell it seems that they usually get a replacement unit. I will let our support team about your case.

Just in case, have you tried blowing the inside of the Unleashed with compressed air or something? Maybe something got into it?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Oliver

October 12th, 2020, 11:28 am

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't replied, I'm on vacation and will be back in the office tomorrow.

@slp can you send us your serial number?

We found that a handful of older units had a hardware issue due to a faulty component. The problem often showed up after weeks or months after successfully passing all our tests during production and even working normally for quite some time. This shouldn't apply to newer units.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

October 12th, 2020, 11:59 am

Oliver wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 11:28 am
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't replied, I'm on vacation and will be back in the office tomorrow.

@slp can you send us your serial number?

We found that a handful of older units had a hardware issue due to a faulty component. The problem often showed up after weeks or months after successfully passing all our tests during production and even working normally for quite some time. This shouldn't apply to newer units.
@oliver:
Do you know the exact production period in which this faulty component was used for Unleasheds in the production batch? Let me put it this way: could it be that my Unleasheds are affected too, but didn't surface yet? Do you know the serial number range in which this faulty component was used?
I think my Unleasheds are okay, but it could be that someday the Unleasheds just give up the ghost... I just want to make sure I haven't been affected by this faulty production serie(s)... that's all. Sort of double check: "If your serial number of the Unleashed is within range [xxxxxx]-[yyyyyy], please contact us directly for validating your product". Better be safe than sorry.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
slp

October 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm

I was an early backer on Kickstarter, so mine is an older unit. The serial number is 000409.
IMG_0124.jpeg
IMG_0124.jpeg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
slp

October 13th, 2020, 4:49 pm

What do I need to do to get my Unleashed N1 replaced?
Unfoolishly

October 13th, 2020, 7:18 pm

slp wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:49 pm
What do I need to do to get my Unleashed N1 replaced?
Hi sip,
My advise: wait until Oliver reads the emails and this forum thread. I have no better news for you. Sorry.
Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
slp

October 16th, 2020, 1:53 am

I have to say I am not very impressed with Foolography support. It has been over a week since I first E-mailed them and as yet have not received even just an acknowledgement that it was received.

Since my Unleashed N1 is obviously defective, I would like a replacement.
Andy

October 16th, 2020, 8:24 am

I have forwarded your case yesterday and once again this morning. Hopefully you'll receive a response soon. I don't handle that kind of support so I can't help you myself.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Oliver

October 16th, 2020, 9:56 am

Hi, you should have received an email with instructions about the RMA process.
We can repair your Unleashed if you send it in.
Oliver

October 16th, 2020, 10:01 am

@Unfoolishly: Don't worry, your Unleasheds are not affected for sure.
It was just a small number of mainly N1's (some N2s) in the first production batch (ie Kickstarter backers), with serial numbers below 1000. Most Unleasheds in that Production batch are without any issues, so it's not a widespread thing. That's why we can't specify which serial numbers exactly, but can only handle this case by case.