Unable to Use Rear Monitor while Unleashed Is Plugged in [solved: hardware defect]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
slp

October 7th, 2020, 4:20 pm

I am having a problem with my Nikon D5 while the Unleashed N1 is plugged in. I am unable to use the menu, playback, Fn3 (LAN), info, or i button features on the camera. Essentially any button, except live view, that uses the monitor does nothing when pressed. The only fix I have found is to unplug the Unleashed to use them. Shooting photos and videos still seem to work fine, but I just cannot control anything that requires using the rear monitor until I unplug the Unleashed.

Nikon D5: C 1.30, LD 2.018
Unleashed N1: A 1.4.4, B 1.4.9, C 1.4.0
iOS 14.0.1
Unleashed App 1.3.6 (1006)

Update:
I am also seeing that the Unleashed is not properly showing the camera status in the iOS app (see attached screen shot).

IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 6191 times

I have once or twice been able to get things to work by unplugging then plugging the Unleashed back in, but then it stopped working again after a short time.

Another update:
I am adding the video posted later to the original post:
https://youtu.be/J0cLqMM6BT0
Last edited by slp on October 8th, 2020, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unfoolishly

October 8th, 2020, 11:58 am

Hi sip,

I assume you have plugged the USB cable, that comes with the Unleashed N1, in correctly. See this video to see how it must be plugged in correctly: Unleashed Tutorial: Plugging it in.
I don't think that this is your problem, but I mention it for others too, so they will check on this too before posting any messages on the forum.

You have the latest firmware of both the camera and Unleashed. You have the latest App version for iOS and also the most current iOS version. So that doesn't seem to be any problem.

The image you attached is not visible in the forum message. Please add this as JPG attachment to the forum message, but make sure you use high compression (50%) to reduce filesize. The forum won't allow large filesizes. You could also use an external image hosting platform like https://imgbb.com/ or https://imgur.com/ for example, and reference your picture in this forum message if the image exceeds the max. filesize of this forum.

It sounds like you have an Unleashed hardware problem, but I am not 100% sure of that. If you are able to do so, make a short video of what you are experiencing and upload that to a Youtube or Vimeo channel, so it becomes really clear what is happening. Post the URL of the video in this message thread.

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your problem will be fixed soon.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
slp

October 8th, 2020, 2:12 pm

My primary use case is geotagging and only use the USB cable when needed for control from the app. Nevertheless, whether the USB cable is plugged in (correctly of course) or not, the problem persists.

I have changed the screen shot from a link (which showed fine for me) to an embedded attachment.

I have switched back to the Nikon GP-1 attachment, and it is working fine. Well, other than being bulky and only tagging while outdoors. I too, suspect an Unleashed hardware problem.

I will try putting a video together.
Unfoolishly

October 8th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Hi sip,
slp wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:12 pm
My primary use case is geotagging and only use the USB cable when needed for control from the app. Nevertheless, whether the USB cable is plugged in (correctly of course) or not, the problem persists.
It shouldn't matter if the USB cable is plugged in or not. It should work without a doubt. Normally speaking, that is.
slp wrote: I have changed the screen shot from a link (which showed fine for me) to an embedded attachment.
I do see the screenshot now also.
slp wrote: I have switched back to the Nikon GP-1 attachment, and it is working fine. Well, other than being bulky and only tagging while outdoors. I too, suspect an Unleashed hardware problem.

I will try putting a video together.
Sounds really like a hardware problem. But the guys from Foolography have to check this out for two reasons:
1) Determine if it is really a hardware problem (and thus send you a new one)
2) Investigate what caused the hardware problem in the first place, so they can prevent it in new production batches.

A video really helps in analyzing the real problem from a distance point of view.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
slp

October 8th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Unfoolishly

October 8th, 2020, 3:21 pm

slp wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Here is a video:
https://youtu.be/J0cLqMM6BT0
Sure looks like a hardware problem to me!

Better contact Foolography directly by email. Contact details can be found here.

Some tips for creating an analyzing video (things you missed out, but next time try to test also):
- turn off camera, pull out battery, push in battery, turn on camera.
- disconnect USB cable, but not the Unleashed (gives a more finegrained analysis result, because you then know it is not the Unleashed-to-camera remote control port but the Unleashed-to-usb port that is causing the problem)
- with a disconnected USB cable and the camera on with the MENU on, insert back the USB cable of the Unleashed. If the screen goes out, it sure has something to do with the Unleashed-to-usb port.

This also gives me a new idea for a new request: an Unleashed App feature to disable the USB functionality by Bluetooth. Technically speaking: electronically disconnect the USB connection using tri-state I/O ports in the internal chip used between camera-usb and Unleashed. This is also useful if the user doesn't want/need to use the full functionality of the Unleashed but only want to use the geotagging and remote triggering options to be available.

So, I think that you have a broken Unleashed N1. Too bad :(

EDIT: I have created a new feature request to make this a mandatory feature in the Unleashed App and Unleashed itself, so users can test more easily if this it "their" problem as well. Then you do not have to physically disconnect the USB cable, but use the App to disconnect it electronically for you.

See this post.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
slp

October 8th, 2020, 3:26 pm

I, of course, have tested with and without the USB cable, as well as removing and inserting the battery, but since neither had any effect, I limited it to the simplest way do demonstrate the problem.
Unfoolishly

October 8th, 2020, 3:29 pm

slp wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 3:26 pm
I, of course, have tested with and without the USB cable, as well as removing and inserting the battery, but since neither had any effect, I limited it to the simplest way do demonstrate the problem.
Okay, but I could not see that in the video. But it is good to mention this also ;-)
Also for other forum readers, this is valuable information to mention as well.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
slp

October 9th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I E-mailed Foolography support yesterday. How long does it usually take for a response?
Unfoolishly

October 9th, 2020, 4:17 pm

slp wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 3:24 pm
I E-mailed Foolography support yesterday. How long does it usually take for a response?
Sometimes within a day, sometimes within a week. They are not monitoring the forum 24/7. I don't monitor this forum also 24/7. But if I do, you are in luck :-D

Just wait a few days, before flooding their emailboxes (evil grin) with your emails. I am not suggesting you should spam the hell out of them in any way :-)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly