Identification of the camera in the Unleashed App not available when Unleashed used on a different camera [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Unfoolishly

October 12th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Hi all,

A really tiny bug this time.

I switched from camera body today, taking off the Unleashed of a Nikon D7100 camera and putting the Unleashed onto a Nikon D90. I forgot to turn off the Unleashed App in the smartphone. The Unleashed was powered on by the battery of the Nikon camera, but the App did not recognize that the Unleashed was plugged into another camera. It showed the serial number instead. I would have expected "N2:D90" in the App. I could use the App with the Unleashed, but for some reason the shutterbutton I pressed in the App did send a command to the camera, the camera was focusing (with LiveView on) but did not take a photo. But when I pressed the shutterbutton on the camera itself. It did take a photo!

Tiny bug 1: no update on the name of the camera when App is running, when the Unleashed is switched onto a different camera. I would expect a first "broadcast" message in which the Unleashed sends out the signal to the App, running or not: I am now on a D90 (instead of a D7100).

(Possible?) tiny bug 2: no photo taken when LiveView on (in the camera, not over the smartphone) and shutterbutton is pressed in the App. Camera does react to shutterbutton pressed, but it does not result in a photo being taken. Pressing the shutterbutton on the camera did take a photo (same situation, lightning and LiveView). Question: is there an option or setting in the App in which I can set a "try again for three times to take a photo and then quit if it is not possible"? Holding down the shutterbutton directly on the camera, the camera did take a photo, but I am not 100% sure it did this with just focussing once? It could be possible that the Nikon D90 needed more tries to auto focus during LiveView and I pressed the button long enough to take the photo?
I miss such option in the Unleashed and Unleashed App, with the config option to "try again" or "try harder" (okay, the latter is a fuzy logic statement ;-))

That's all I have for now.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

October 14th, 2020, 11:40 am

Did you plug in the USB cable on the D90 as well? The D90 supports most features of the Unleashed (including transmitting its name) only when the USB cable is plugged in. So while the App doesn't get a new name, it keeps displaying the last one, rather than switching back to displaying the serial number.

As for your other issue: that's probably because the D90 didn't manage to focus in our tap-to-focus timeout time of 1 or 2 seconds (I forget which it is).
you can press (and hold) the trigger in the app as well, which translates directly to pressing and holding the shutterbutton on the camera, so you can overcome any slowness of the D90 like that too.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

October 14th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Oliver wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
Did you plug in the USB cable on the D90 as well? The D90 supports most features of the Unleashed (including transmitting its name) only when the USB cable is plugged in. So while the App doesn't get a new name, it keeps displaying the last one, rather than switching back to displaying the serial number.

As for your other issue: that's probably because the D90 didn't manage to focus in our tap-to-focus timeout time of 1 or 2 seconds (I forget which it is).
you can press (and hold) the trigger in the app as well, which translates directly to pressing and holding the shutterbutton on the camera, so you can overcome any slowness of the D90 like that too.
Yes, I did plug in the USB cable. Later on I had to pull the cable out because I wanted to use the LiveView on the D90 directly, and the LiveView could not be turned on while the USB cable is connected to the Unleashed (in an electronical way, that is). Therefore my other request to make it possible from the App to switch the USB connection ON/OFF programmatically by tri-stating the USB I/O ports is highly appreciated.

NOTE:
Unfortunately, yesterday my D90 finally gave up the ghost: it was killed by the famous "mirror stuck problem". Stuck for good, that is :(
I could not recover from it. Tried everything. It happened while on LiveView mode for quite some time. Seems to be a real issue for a lot of D90 users. I think it's better to bring the D90 to its final resting place. Farewell my good old friend. Snif snif...

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

October 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm

RIP D90.
I guess we'll never find out what happened with the name.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.