App is not detecting N1 [solved: hardware defect]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Andy

December 14th, 2020, 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear that. At this point I think the only thing you can do is wait for the firmware update and I hope that will fix your issue. This is the first time we’ve heard of a problem like this. I have an idea of what could potentially be causing your issue but there’s no way to fix it without a firmware update :(

I’ll let you know as soon as we have it ready!
Sorry again for the trouble
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
marcin

December 14th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Thanks Andy,
I very much appreciate your help and spending these late hours on customer support.
I'm waiting then for the new firmware. Let me know once the beta is there ready for testing. I'm eager to get fixed my unleashed as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Marcin
Oliver

December 23rd, 2020, 11:03 pm

Hi again,

the latest iOS app was just approved on the Appstore - with a firmware update. Could you try update the app, then update the firmware on your Unleashed, to see if that helps?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
marcin

December 27th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Hello Oliver,
I just installed the unleashed app once again on my wifies iPhone.
It detected the dongle, and there was new firmware available. The firmware was downloading with interruptions (the dongle was looking turning off (no lights) during the update, but eventually, all firmware was installed. The up suggested dongle reboot. which I did.
Now it seems the dongle died completely. Once per a few minutes, the red light flashes immediately followed by the red one, but it lasts only for a second. No way to connect to establish a stable connection. My app on android phone is not even able to pick it up.
I tried turning the camera off and on again and unplugging the dongle, but this changes nothing.

Any further suggestions?
Regards,
Marcin
marcin

December 27th, 2020, 11:43 pm

For this second it gets a red light, I phone establishes a connection. It lasts for a very short moment but enough to show the firmware version. It is 1.4.7, 1.4.10, 1.4.2.
Best regards,
Marcin
marcin

December 27th, 2020, 11:51 pm

no it is back to previous behavior. also the red light stays for some time. Long enough to use LightBlue app.
Repeating the procedure I was recommended before (rebooting the dongle with hex code 20) is not solving the issue. The dongle is still presenting itself as UnleashedBoot device.
marcin

December 28th, 2020, 12:28 am

Last observation for today.
As long as the wife's iPhone is in the close vicinity the red light shows up only for a second. It has to be taken out of the BT reach to force the lights on the dongle to stay for longer than this short second.
Best regards,
Marcin
Oliver

December 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Hi Marcin,

if you can, please do your tests with your wife's iPhone, and once that's working, move back to your android phone. in this time, please either disable or unpair the Unleashed in the "Your Unleasheds" screen on the phone which you're currently not using, or kill the app completely from the phone's app switcher.

This is to ensure that the connection is not "stolen" by the phone you're not currently trying to use.
Once you have done that, could you send us a video where we can see both the iOS app and the LED on the Unleashed, as it is trying to connect? If that's not so easy to do, a screen recording on the iPHone would also be helpful.

Thanks already.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
marcin

December 29th, 2020, 12:18 am

Hello,
Here is the behavior of the dongle when iPhone (with installed unleashed app) is not close to the camera, or if the Bluetooth on the iPhone is turned off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQ-IY- ... rcinPazdro
LIghtBlue app shows it as Unleashed Boot. No way to connect the dongle to an unleashed app on Android phone.

If the iPhone is closed to the camera it behaves like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOONx9l ... rcinPazdro
Shortly speaking it connects only for a second.
I turned off Bluetooth on my wife iPhone and installed unleashed on my son's iPhone (different model) and behavior is exactly the same. Once set-up and firmware updated it connects only for a second and disconnects immediately.
Best regards,
Marcin
Andy

December 29th, 2020, 2:06 am

Hi Marcin,

thank you for your videos, much appreciated.

TL;DR: what you see is expected behavior, we don't know for sure what's the issue, but we hope that the upcoming beta will fix your problem.

-------------------------------------

The behavior you see is expected in the case of a faulty Unleashed. You see, the Unleashed runs two completely separate programs, a "bootloader" which is used to update the firmware and the main Unleashed program, which is the one that talks to the app, triggers the camera and all that.

The red light means that the Unleashed is in firmware update mode. If nothing happens within two minutes, the Unleashed starts the main program, this is when you see that the light goes off. The problem is that your Unleashed for some reason is getting stuck somewhere when it starts the main program. There is a safety mechanism that prevents the Unleashed from getting bricked in these cases, so after 10 seconds of getting stuck, the Unleashed resets itself and it enters firmware update mode again, so that you can change the firmware if something is not working.

The issue here is that I don't know why this is happening in the first place, you would be the first customer with this issue as far as I know, so there's no precedent. It's pretty weird that the Unleashed suddenly started doing this, it would be more normal if your Unleashed had never worked at all, but you said it did use to work, right?

The only thing that I can think could have gone wrong after a while is that the Unleashed somehow wrote garbage data to its persistent storage (it saves stuff like your preferred GPS settings, intervalometer state, etc.) That's the only thing that could have changed permanently since you got the Unleashed, that wouldn't be fixed with a firmware update.

We will publish a beta firmware very soon after the holidays, the new firmware will delete the old data in persistent storage since the format has changed in the new beta. I hope this will fix your issue. Unfortunately, the beta will only be published for iOS initially, since the adjustments for the Android app are not ready yet. There will be a way to uninstall the beta and reinstall the old firmware, so you will be able to use your Unleashed with your Android phone afterwards (that is of course, if the issue is fixed with the beta in the first place).

Sorry that we didn't manage to fix your Unleashed before your winter trip :(

I hope you have a nice holiday nevertheless!
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography