App is not detecting N1 [solved: hardware defect]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
marcin

December 13th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Hello,
My N1 stopped getting connected to a phone. It was working yesterday, but today there was an issue with the connection. I did the following:
- in Unleashed up I unlinked the unleashed and tried to add it again. Bluetooth menu shows "Unleashed boot" decide, but the app was not able to detect the dongle;
- I uninstalled the app and installed a new one and tried to repeat the process. The same outcome ("Unleashed boot " detectable when doing Bluetooth scan but the app is not listing any device);
- The dongle shows the red light (but it is not continuous, shows up and stays for a couple of minutes but then disappears again). i removed it and connected back to the camera (Nikon D500) with no success;
- I ensured the app has all the needed permissions needed;
- I run the attempts with and without mini-usb cable connected;

Hardware info:
- Unleashed: N1;
- Mobile: Samsung S20 5G;
- Camera: Nikon D500

Software info:
- Unleashed 1.3.10;
- Android 10;
- D500 C.1.20 LD 2.016

I also borrowed my son's iPhone and installed the unleashed software.
It showed the N1 and paired with it, but still, the software is not working properly.

I can't control the camera and the software is disconnected from the dongle for the most of the time.
I managed to go to the dongle setting and captured some info:
Serial number: 002674
Firmware version:
A 1.4.4
B 1.4.9
C 1.4.0
This info is displayed for just a second or so, and quickly disappears and instead of numbers in firmware versions the "?" are shown.

Thanks for any support.
Best regards,
Marcin
Oliver

December 14th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for your detailed report.

What you describe tells me that the Unleashed for some reason enters Firmware update mode. The Unleashed normally only switches into this when you (try to) update the firmware. But as soon as the update is done or cancelled, and you unplug the Unleashed from the camera and plug it back in, it should boot back into normal mode and everything should be fine again.

That said, if for some reason it's stuck in firmware update mode, the Android app (as you have observed) will not be able to connect to it. The iOS app does. We had to implement this out of necessity, to be able to update the firmware at all, whereas on Android it was not necessary. However, we are currently in the process of refactoring our code to match the iOS behaviour on our android app too.

The Firmware in the iOS app is currently at A 1.4.4, B 1.4.9 and C 1.4.0, so it will not offer you an update at the moment. We're just about to release a minor update of the iOS app in the next days, with nothing but updated Firmware inside, so I'd advise to wait for that, and see if a firmware update using your son's iPhone would revive your Unleashed.

Sorry for the trouble!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
marcin

December 14th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Thanks for your answer Oliver,
Will you let me know once the software is updated?
Is there a chance that the update will be released before 28th of December? I was planning on some "into the white" tour, and having a GPS tracking would be extremally useful.
Regards,
Marcin
Andy

December 14th, 2020, 9:48 pm

By the looks of it, I wouldn't count on it. You can try to reset it manually with another app.

- Download a Bluetooth scanner app such as Lightblue (icon looks like a blue fist)
- Connect to the device called Unleashed Boot:
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg (228.34 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
- Select the first item on the list, the one that says write notify:
IMG_2238.PNG
IMG_2238.PNG (208.76 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
- Tap on the listen to notifications button, then on write new value button, then write 20 and tap on done
IMG_2239.PNG
IMG_2239.PNG (176.3 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
- Your Unleashed should reboot then.

Hope that helps
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
marcin

December 14th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Hei Andy,
Thanks. I installed the app, and I managed to connect.
But I'm not sure what actually to do as the next steps. Should I do something in the up?

Thanks and regards,
Marcin
Andy

December 14th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Do you see the same items on the list as the ones in the screenshot?
Andy
marcin

December 14th, 2020, 10:25 pm

slightly different, i'm using Android. Should i switch to iPhone?
Andy

December 14th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Shouldn’t be necessary, you should still see the same numbers and text, even if the UI is different
Andy
marcin

December 14th, 2020, 10:30 pm

now i'm on iphone. it is identical to your screens
marcin

December 14th, 2020, 10:31 pm

But still i'm not sure what i should do. Should i write new value, or?