USB not working with N2 and Nikon z6ii

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Jlsturbo

December 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Got my N2 today. The module is working fine. Except for the USB feature. Whenever I connect the USB cable I get an “USB is not active” message (for example on the metering setting). Without attached cable the message reads “USB cable not plugged in”. So I guess The USB connection is recognized but not used.

Do I have to change some setting on my camera to “activate” USB?
Andy

December 30th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Can you try plugging the USB cable on the Unleashed the other way around? It's supposed to be keyed so that you can't plug it in wrongly, but sometimes with a bit of force you can manage.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Andy

December 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm

The cable loop is supposed to look forward like this:
IMG_2329.jpg
IMG_2329.jpg (255.06 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Jlsturbo

December 30th, 2020, 2:39 pm

When I plug in everything like on the image above the message says “USB is not active”. When I plug in the usb cable into the N2 the other way round it says “USB cable not connected”.

I tried with both supplied USB cables. I also attached my cam to my Mac via an USB-C cable to make sure the port isn’t damaged. Cam to Mac via USB Works all perfectly fine.

Is there maybe a difference between D780 and Z6ii cables? I ordered a D780 N2 back in November but switched to the Z6ii in the meantime. The website lists the USB cables as compatible with D780 and Z6ii but maybe hat info is wrong?

Oh also when I look at the N2 there’s no clear keying visible. You can plug in the cable both ways without any resistance. Maybe the Unit is damaged?
Oliver

December 31st, 2020, 12:00 pm

Hey - I'm sorry to say that you could be affected by this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=917

The USB cable for the D780 and Z6 II are the same, so no, that's not the issue.
Could you try disabling charging/powering the Camera from USB in the Cameras Menu? There's a chance this has a negative effect, and certainly worth a try.

Have a great start into the new year!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.