A few issues I've noticed - N2 Nikon D780

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
TuckersPics

December 31st, 2020, 1:05 am

I received my N2 a few days ago and overall, I am very pleased. However there a few issues/bugs that I have noticed which I have pointed out below:

Camera: Nikon D780, the N2 is plugged in and the USB C cable is connected to the USB C port on the camera.

Issue 1: Connection

I only seem to have a connection for about 10 seconds. While I am using the app and setting the camera up it is fine, but if I leave it for about 10 seconds the connection drops and I cannot do anything on the app at all. I can re-establish the connection by pressing the menu button on the camera for example or by restarting the app.

I guess this is a bug because 10 seconds seems a short time to set things up.

Screenshots

Left connected, right without connection

ImageImage

Issue 2: Photo review

As you can see from the screenshots above the Photo Review icon has a prohibited symbol on it, when I press on the icon a menu comes up saying N/A and I cannot do anything at all.

Screenshot

Issue 3: Auto Ramping algorithms missing

I only seem to have the EV-meter algorithm, the LRT algorithms are not available.

Screenshot

Issue 4: Shutter speed

The shutter speed on the D780 can go up to 900 seconds but the app stops at 30 seconds. I realise that this is because almost all cameras only go up to 30 seconds, can this be changed for the D780 and other cameras that are able to go beyond 30 seconds?

Screenshot

Thanks!
TuckersPics

December 31st, 2020, 9:30 am

The connection issue is a real problem, I've read that others are having the same issue. Something to do with Android Bluetooth stacking.

It's very frustrating, it took me about 30 minutes this morning to get a reliable connection by which time it was too late to get the sunrise.

The connection is unreliable as it is which is a pity.
Oliver

December 31st, 2020, 11:57 am

Hi TuckersPics,

sorry for the trouble, and thanks for your detailled report.
Unfortunately I can't see your screenshots, but I think I can tell you a few things that are going on already:
I'm sorry to say that you could be affected by this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=917
which explains many of your issues.

The but with the unreliable connection however should not be because of this, but to make sure it isn't, please try disconnecting the USB cable from the Unleashed entirely.

Yes, there are some issues with the Android Bluetooth Stack, but most reports have been about not being able to (re-) establish the connection, and not with connections being dropped after a short period of time.
The fix for most these issues is simply turning on and off airplane mode. If that doesn't help, clearing the systems Bluetooth cache, the Unleashed app cache, deleting and reinstalling the Unleashed app, and/or restarting your phone are other options you can try.

Sorry for the trouble, and for the missed sunrise. I hope you'll be able to capture many more in the future.

Have a great start into the new year!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.