Location and ISO not updating

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Brett

January 11th, 2021, 4:38 pm

I am using Unleashed with a Nikon Z6II and an Android 8.0.0 phone. I have this year’s batch on Unleashed with the cable removed and now unused, and to be replaced by Foolography. Out for a hike, I recorded images in many locations. The camera recorded location on all photos but the location never updated as I moved and the position recorded remained constant. I want to achieve at least as accurate a location as I do with my Nikon GP-1. The phone is set to record high accuracy location and phone image location is always spot on. In the app GPS Mode is on and interval is 1. Is the a device or user error?

I also note that ISO always displays 100 and does not match the camera (see email for images) Is this due to the lack of the cable or is there another issue?
Andy

January 11th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Hi Brett,

that doesn't sound right. What GPS priority are you triggering with? The fact that you are not using the cable shouldn't matter, that is just used to fetch images from the camera and to enable metering mode.

The Unleashed should start blinking red if the GPS location becomes too old or if GPS is on and the Unleashed does not have any GPS data at all, which could happen if your phone runs out of battery or goes out of range or something.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Brett

January 13th, 2021, 2:55 am

Hello Andy,

As I have the phone in my pocket with the app running in the background, and I am not using it to trigger the camera, I didn’t imagine it mattered, but I just looked and it is in GPS priority and not Trigger.

I will watch for the lights next time out.

Thank you,
Brett
Oliver

January 13th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Hi Brett

You might not have given the App permission to use GPS data while in the Background. This is important.
If you don't know where the permissions are, it might be easier to delete the app and reinstall it, then accept all permission requests the app asks for.

Depending how deep in your pocket your phone is, this might also have something to do with that.
Also, on Android phones, you can set the quality of your Location service. It can either be coarse, where it only uses Cell tower triangulation and Wifi positioning, or fine, which will actually use the GPS chip in the phone. You should certainly set it to the latter.

The Unleashed app will only send a location to the Unleashed if the accuracy of the position is under a certain threshold, so that might add to the problem. In any of these cases, the Unleashed should blink red in between the normal color sequences, so you can look out for that, and if you see it blinking red, go to your app to see what's wrong.

I hope this helps.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Brett

January 14th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Thank you Andy & Oliver,

Weather has not been cooperating but I will try to exercise your advice and see what I get as soon as I am able.

Cheers,
Brett