SOLVED: GPS Data not transfered (Nikon D750 / iPhone X)

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
motzmobil

January 13th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Hi all!

yesterday i installed my N2 at my Nikon D750, and the App on my iPhone X, The app works fine, but the GPS Data is not stored in the EXIF data.
Do i have to configure something in the camera? the menuitem "Positionsdaten" cannot be used - its absend in the System Menu.

any thoughts?

Martin
Last edited by motzmobil on February 17th, 2021, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

January 13th, 2021, 2:00 pm

Just checking, how did you try it out?

If you trigger with the app and GPS is on, your photos should be geotagged as long as you don't have any errors/warnings in the app about GPS location unavailable or something.
If you trigger the camera while the app is closed (in the background), the Unleashed should be geotagging your photos.
If you trigger the camera itself while the app is open, the Unleashed won't have time to geotag your photo.

May I also ask what FW version do you have?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
motzmobil

January 13th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Hi andy,
If you trigger with the app and GPS is on, your photos should be geotagged as long as you don't have any errors/warnings in the app about GPS location unavailable or something.
If you trigger the camera while the app is closed (in the background), the Unleashed should be geotagging your photos.
If you trigger the camera itself while the app is open, the Unleashed won't have time to geotag your photo.
--> i tried all different methods, no errors, i checked the files with exif editor - all gps data empty

I read something about general gps issues with regional settings (china) - here i am in contact with nikon to clarify.
May I also ask what FW version do you have?
sure:
A 1.4.7
B 1.4.10
C 1.4.2

Martin
Oliver

January 13th, 2021, 2:56 pm

motzmobil wrote:
Do i have to configure something in the camera? the menuitem "Positionsdaten" cannot be used - its absend in the System Menu.
Hi Martin,
what do you mean with this? is it really absent, or just greyed out?
If it is absent, there is a possibility (though very unlikely) that your camera was originally designed to be sold in certain asian regions, where using GPS is illegal. If this is the case, you have no other possibility but to send your camera in to Nikon and have it updated to have all european features. They will charge for it though.
Out of all our customers, we have had about 3 with this kind of an issue.

What does the App show? can you turn on the GPS setting? is it painted red? if it is red, an error icon appears in the top right corner of the app, tap that to see the errormessage.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
motzmobil

January 13th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Oliver wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 2:56 pm
motzmobil wrote:
Hi Martin,
what do you mean with this? is it really absent, or just greyed out?
If it is absent, there is a possibility (though very unlikely) that your camera was originally designed to be sold in certain asian regions, where using GPS is illegal. If this is the case, you have no other possibility but to send your camera in to Nikon and have it updated to have all european features. They will charge for it though.
Out of all our customers, we have had about 3 with this kind of an issue.

What does the App show? can you turn on the GPS setting? is it painted red? if it is red, an error icon appears in the top right corner of the app, tap that to see the errormessage.
Hi Oliver,

the menu item is not there! i can only configure it in "Mein Menü" and then its greyed out. when i then choose it, it says "Diese Option ist mit den aktuellen Einstellungen oder aufgrund des aktuellen Kamerastatus nicht verfügbar."
The GPS Icon in the App is active!

Martin
motzmobil

January 14th, 2021, 9:54 am

Hi Oliver,

ich schreibe mal auf deutsch ;)... also so wie es aussieht habe ich einen Grau-Import. Der Nikon Europe Service hat mir geschrieben das eine Änderung durch den Service nicht möglich ist. Kannst du mir einen Tipp geben, wie ich die Änderung durchführen lassen kann? Du schreibst von drei bekannten Fällen..

Da das GeoTagging mein Haupt Kaufgrund war, muss ich sonst leider von meinem Widerrufsrecht gebrauch machen :(

Danke & Gruß
Martin
Oliver

January 14th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Hallo,
klar, deutsch geht auch.

Hmm, wenn der Eintrag im Mein Menü auswählbar ist, kann es sein, dass es doch kein Grau-import aus so einer Region ist.
ein Ausgegrauter Menü-eintrag ist etwas anderes. Wenn die App aktiv ist, schicken die GPS Daten immer nur an die Kamera wenn diese kurz vor dem Auslösen ist. Am besten die App in den hintegrund gehen lassen (oder die App ganz killen - dann schickt das Unleashed trotzdem weiter die letzten bekannten GPS Daten an die Kamera.
Dann kurz den Auslöser antippen, und schliesslich nochmal auf den GPS menü-eintrag gehen. Dieser sollte hoffentlich nicht mehr ausgegraut sein, und wenn man reingeht, sollte man sich nun die Positionsdaten anzeigen lassen können.

Wenn es sich doch um einen Grau-import handelt:
eine Kundin hat mir folgende Rückmeldung gegeben:
...das Problem mit dem kleinen Unleashed und der Nikon D850 konnte nun endlich gelöst werden. Wie Sie damals schon vermutet hatten war das Feature einer GPS-Datenübertragung durch ein externes Gerät bei der Kamera nicht freigeschaltet, obwohl ich diese direkt bei Nikon Deutschland gekauft hatte; war einiges an e-Mails, Diskussionen und Lauferei zu einem Nikon Service Point in München, der dies dann final beheben konnte.
ein zweiter Kunde hatte mir dies gemeldet:
es hat einige Mails und das Einschicken der Kamera an den Nikon Service in Düsseldorf gebraucht. Es stellte sich heraus, dass mir der französische Shop eine nicht-europäische Kamera verkauft hat.

Hier die endgültige Antwort von vorhin

---
nikonrepair.de@nikon.com

Guten Morgen Herr XXXXX,
an der Kamera ist eine kostenpflichtige Software Umstellung notwendig um sie für den europäischen Markt nutzbar zu machen, da nicht in jedem Land die Nutzung des GPS gestattet ist.
---

Die Softwareumstellung berechnen sie mit 80 Euro.
mit dem dritten Kunden hatte ich nur telefonisch kontakt, habe also nichts was ich hier reinkopieren kann.

Ich hoffe das hilft.
motzmobil

January 14th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Vielen Dank! Ich werde berichten ;)
motzmobil

February 17th, 2021, 7:36 am

Hi All,

i sent the camera to nikon service and they fixed the issue with an update / initialization of the Software / menu (100€).
Now the GPS transfer works fine ;)

regards
Martin
Oliver

February 19th, 2021, 12:57 am

Glad to hear it!