Unleashed N2 Nikon D90 issue

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
mjkteichmann

February 25th, 2021, 7:03 pm

Hi,

Received my Unleashed N2 for the Nikon D90 today. Unfortunately I'm unable to change any of the camera settings with the app on my iphone.

I can see the GPS works and taking a photo works (nicely includes geotag), but I cannot change any of the phone settings or preview a photo.

What's wrong?

Kind Regards,

Michael.
Unfoolishly

February 25th, 2021, 7:51 pm

mjkteichmann wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 7:03 pm
Hi,

Received my Unleashed N2 for the Nikon D90 today. Unfortunately I'm unable to change any of the camera settings with the app on my iphone.

I can see the GPS works and taking a photo works (nicely includes geotag), but I cannot change any of the phone settings or preview a photo.

What's wrong?

Kind Regards,

Michael.
Hi,

Probably the USB cable reversed in the D90? The GPS port is 180 degrees turned in this camera model. The cable must be pointing - at the Unleashed side - to the back of the camera body, thus not towards the lens.

Greetings,
Unfoolishy
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

February 26th, 2021, 2:23 pm

That would have been my guess too!

If you tap on one of the greyed out settings, you'll see a reason why it's read-only or not available.
Tell us what it says, and we can help you more specifically.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
mjkteichmann

February 26th, 2021, 9:53 pm

The N2 sits upside down indeed with cable facing the back so not towards the Lense.

Tapping on the grayed out settings give nothing except for the metering one. Then the feedback is ‘metering is not available. USB is not active.

USB port on the camera works fine. Tested it with a direct link on a PC.
Unfoolishly

March 1st, 2021, 9:35 am

Hi Michael,

Have you tried these steps:
- turn off camera, pull out battery, insert battery again, turn on camera.
- turn on flight mode at smartphone side, turn off flight mode.
- turn off bluetooth, turn on bluetooth.
- pull out USB cable, work with Unleashed App without the USB cable attached. Can you trigger the camera from the App?

When the App is running, is GPS data received from smartphone to camera? In other words: when you take a picture, does it contain the GPS data?
We need to know this, so we for sure know that the Unleashed gets data from the smartphone.

If you get GPS data in your photos without the USB cable attached, try the same with the USB cable attached.
Could you make a snapshot of the App screen on your smartphone to see what options are grayed out? Press volume down + power button at the same time to make a snapshot/screenshot.
Post it here with the upload feature in this forum thread. Then we know more.

Thanks.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

March 1st, 2021, 10:06 am

Can you post which Firmware version you're on? iOS or Android?
Seeing GPS and Long Exposure but nothing else in the App means it's between Firmware and Camera.

Does the error change from "USB Cable unplugged" to "USB not Active", when you plug the USB cable in and out of the Unleashed?
If you have iOS, I'd like to invite you to our Beta, as we've made many changes, some of which could help fix your issues.
mjkteichmann

March 2nd, 2021, 9:28 pm

Thanks for all the swift responses in trying to help resolve this. Two answer on the two responses into one:
Tried the following actions. That doesn't change anything:
- turn off camera, pull out battery, insert battery again, turn on camera.
- turn on flight mode at smartphone side, turn off flight mode.
- turn off bluetooth, turn on bluetooth.

i can trigger a photo from the app both with the USB cable attached and with the USB cable unplugged.
GPS data is received from the phone and included in the picture both when the USB cable is connected and when the USB cable is detached.
Error doesn't change when I unplug the USB cable from the unleashed. It stays at: " USB is not active"
Firmware of the unleashed is latest version according to the app. A 1.4.7, B 1.4.10, C 1.4.2
I am using an iphone, so yes on IOS (14.4). Happy to participate in the beta (assuming we get the unleashed to work)
printscreen of the app attached.

20210302_195726000_iOS.jpg
20210302_195726000_iOS.jpg (73.51 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Kind Regards

Michael
Oliver

March 2nd, 2021, 10:55 pm

Hmm, that's odd.

Alright lets try the Beta then - can you send me your App Store email address to beta@foolography.com? I will send you an invite to the beta app.
Thanks!
Unfoolishly

March 2nd, 2021, 11:47 pm

Hi Michael and Oliver,

Notice anything? I see from the screenshot of the App that the App has not as name the name of the camera (should be N2:D90, not N2:004250). To me this COULD mean that the USB cable is incorrectly installed. I am not saying it is, but could be.

Could you make a photo with your iPhone of the D90 with the Unleashed N2 connected, including the USB cable attached. Maybe that is the problem. I had this problem when I still had my D90, before it finally gave up the ghost due to mirror-of-death problem (mirror stuck for good).

The App should report N2:D90!

Possible cases:
- USB cable incorrectly installed
- USB cable defective
- Firmware issue?
- Defective Unleashed N2?
- User error ;-)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
mjkteichmann

March 6th, 2021, 10:51 am

Photo attached.

I'll also send my app store email in a separate email as requested .

One additional observation. If the USB cable is plugged in between the unleashed and the D90 the D90 display behaves out of the ordinary. It switches off afer a few seconds regardless if menu options are being selected or previewing a photo. When disconnecting the USB the display/D90 behaves normally. To add: firmware of the D90 is: A 1.00 B 1.00 L 1.002
20210306_093150199_iOS.jpg
20210306_093150199_iOS.jpg (216.45 KiB) Viewed 4817 times