Nikon Mirrorless Z series users

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
Brett

January 11th, 2021, 5:00 pm

I am a Z 6II user looking to other Nikon mirrorless users for their approach to using the Unleashed. I am interested in getting high quality location data all the time, as well as remote image taking on occasion. I currently use U1 for aperture based, single spot AF, landscape photography; and U2 for shutter priority action photography. Wanting to preserve battery in these modes, both displays are set to shutdown quickly when not in use. This is of course a problem for Unleashed.

What settings do you use with Unleashed on your Nikon Z camera to optimize it’s abilities?
Andy

January 11th, 2021, 5:26 pm

Turning the displays off shouldn't be a problem for the Unleashed. What problems are you experiencing?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Brett

January 13th, 2021, 3:02 am

Andy,

One of the issues I am experiencing is that when the display sleeps the app reacts as if it no longer has control - the various settings except for GPS all show “slashed circle” in the lower right corner. The camera will not fire in this mode but it can be reawakened by tapping a setting like “Av” in the app.

Thanks,
Brett
Andy

January 13th, 2021, 12:06 pm

That's not a bug, that's a feature. The Unleashed will let the camera go to sleep to save power if there is nothing going on at the moment. As you mentioned, you can tell the Unleashed that you want to use it again just by tapping on a setting again.

We will soon introduce a feature that will allow you to adjust how long should the Unleashed continue to talk to the camera before letting it go to sleep. As mentioned, the longer this takes, the more the battery will be drained.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Oliver

January 13th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Also: if you're interested in geotagging your photos, that happens independently of all the settings. even with the app in the background it will continue to provide GPS data to the Unleashed and the Unleashed to your camera.

If you want really high quality position data, and you find the phone's location lacking, you can always buy a dedicated GPS receiver taht can be paired directly with the Unleashed. See our Blogpost about this:

https://www.foolography.com/2019/11/28/ ... unleashed/
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.