Power solutions for long time lapses

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
pazoulay

February 21st, 2024, 4:50 am

Hi everyone,

I use the unleashed on a Sony A7IV. Works great, but it drains the battery pretty quick. The unleashed occupies the USB C port that can power the camera. There is another micro-USB port but it won't charge the camera.
I am curious what approaches other users have adopted to power the camera during long time lapses. The only thing I can think of is a dummy battery plugged into a power bank. It's not ideal but could work. Are there other ideas/approaches/suggestions?

Regards,

pierre
mopperle

February 21st, 2024, 4:07 pm

I'm using a battery dummy with a special piece of hardware, QCCP stick, which makes sure that the camera gets the exact voltage needed in combination via a QC capable Powerbank. Just a battery dummy connect to a powerbank soemtimes does not work.
Here the link to the guy producing the QCCP Stick: https://tlpbf.de/?lang=en

Otto
Regards,
Otto
pazoulay

February 22nd, 2024, 5:01 pm

Thanks Otto. I think I am going to try something simple first with a cheap dummy battery and the power bank I already have. If that turns out to be a bust, I might well come back to your web site.
I appreciate the knowledge.
regards,
Pierre
pazoulay

February 24th, 2024, 2:48 pm

Just want to report some success with a $30 dummy battery with just a USB-C cable and a small 2-year old small-ish power bank from Anker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LNTPLCK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096TP4B1T

I tested that this solution powered my Sony A7IV, my Sony A7RV, and my Sony A6700. I did a more thorough test on the Sony A6700 (the only one that has a flap to thread the cable of the dummy battery through so that the battery door can shut tight with the dummy battery seated).
I put the camera in intervalometer mode with 650 shots and 30 second exposures, indoors, with the power bank fully charged. The camera could take all 650 shots, and lasted quite a bit after that (I had turned auto power off). About 8 hours in total.

I will do another test that is more realistic, using the unleashed on the Sony A7IV, and outdoors (temperature is slightly below 0 celsius at the moment where I live). But this seems very promising for any time lapse I might run. And if you are the kind of person who really does shoot super long time lapses, then just get a beefier, more modern power bank. Amazing!

Pierre
TMacD

February 28th, 2024, 2:36 am

My Sony alphas (iii, iv, rv) all work great with a dummy battery connected to a usb power bank. No extra power regulator has been necessary for me beyond what is built into the dummy battery. When temps are below zero (Celsius) I warm the usb power bank with a hand warmer and wrap it in fleece cloth to keep it at a decent operating temperature. I keep some cloth between the hand warmer and battery to reduce overheating risk. I’ve used this set-up for a six hour timelapse (8 second interval) with the Unleashed ‘22 and Sony a7iv at temps of -20 C and had plenty of power left to go at least another six hours (with a high capacity power bank).