THE HOLY GRAIL TIMELAPSE

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
photosofafrica

May 8th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Hi there any recommended butter smooth settings for THE HOLY GRAIL TIMELAPSE

SUNSETS

Thanks
Oliver

May 11th, 2020, 11:33 am

This really depends on your Scenery! Near the Equator, a sunset just takes a couple of minutes, near the poles its much much longer. Some scenes are extremely bright during the day, and very very dark at night, where others might start of with a very dark overcast sky during the day, and end with a fairly bright illumination during the night (eg cityscapes), so it's really hard to generalize "good settings"

That said, if you've never done a holy grail timelapse, a good starting point is probably our default settings in the app: 10s interval, at least 2 hour duration, day limits basically shortest shutterspeed, lowest ISO of the app, and your current aperture setting. Night limit Shutterspeed: 8s (interval - 2s for the calculations), ISO 3 stops below your cameras max ISO, and again your current aperture.
In our default settings the default day and night limit for aperture is your current aperture setting, which means that by default we don't ramp the aperture at all, since this can change the image quite significantly, and can change what's in focus in the image.
But if you want to, you can also ramp the aperture. Just make sure you check the look and focus of your image with the largest aperture setting, especially if you're going to do a timelapse of a sunset, where the Unleashed would open your aperture over time. Just so you don't end up with the later parts of your timelapse with the wrong things in focus, or most of the image being out of focus.

Then learn from your first try, and adjust the settings and limits accordingly!

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
SWIMLAKER

February 11th, 2021, 10:51 pm

Hi, I was wondering about bulb ramping, if it’s being solved or we still need to do post-processing?
Oliver

February 15th, 2021, 11:17 am

not yet, but it's on our todolist. For now you still need post-processing.
See explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=11&p=2689#p2689
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Strela9

March 28th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Thanks for the little guide, I had tried it before and didn't get any result worth saving, but it looks like I miscalculated the aperture time. I'll give it another try and see how it goes!