Device Naming

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
Beno1968

February 1st, 2021, 10:31 pm

Is it possible to rename your N2 device name in the app? I will soon have 2 of these and it would make it easier if I could name it as per the camera it’s attached to and not just the device serial number. I intend to try and trigger 2 cameras (each with its own N2) from one phone
Oliver

February 2nd, 2021, 12:42 am

Hi,
I hope you don't mind me moving the topic.
It's not possible to rename them, but instead of the serial number, you will see the camera model next to the Unleashed model, eg:
N2:D750 or N2:Z6
ie if you have two different cameras, you'll easily see which is which, but if they're both the same model that won't help you.

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

February 2nd, 2021, 10:06 am

Beno1968 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 10:31 pm
Is it possible to rename your N2 device name in the app? I will soon have 2 of these and it would make it easier if I could name it as per the camera it’s attached to and not just the device serial number. I intend to try and trigger 2 cameras (each with its own N2) from one phone
Hi Beno1968,

I requested this feature too, a looooong time ago. But unfortunately this is not implemented :(
Maybe one day, this feature will get implemented? I do hope so.
Also along with fetching the battery status of the camera when pressing the device name.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am

Why fetching the battery status when pressing the device name?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

February 2nd, 2021, 2:10 pm

Andy wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am
Why fetching the battery status when pressing the device name?
Hi Andy,
Good question.
I meant: pressing the battery icon, of course (silly me).

But you can fetch some camera specific data and present that when the user pressed the devicename of the camera. Like: number of photo's on the memory card (if that can be fetched from the camera and how many photo's can be taken until memory card full).
You can also show a graph in battery drainage over a period of time so that data can be used to inform the user - through the smartphone - at what moment the battery must be exchanged for a new/charged one to continue the timelapse photoshoot which is controlled by the Unleashed.

That's it.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

February 2nd, 2021, 6:20 pm

But this is already implemented, all the camera information (including battery) gets read from the camera whenever you tap on any setting.
Andy
Unfoolishly

February 2nd, 2021, 8:41 pm

Andy wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 6:20 pm
But this is already implemented, all the camera information (including battery) gets read from the camera whenever you tap on any setting.
Hi Andy,
My words cause confusion. So, better for me is to talk in pictures :)

Picture 1: Tap the battery icon twice, go to dedicated 'battery screen' for more insights.
Screenshot_20210202-181627.png
Picture 2: more insights about the battery/batteries used and how much time (estimation) is left over for timelapse, etc.
Screenshot_20210202-181224.png
See what I mean? In the second screen you can provide the user for more information, like how much battery energy in each battery is left, how long the camera can operate, how long the timelampse runs and if there needs to be a switch of battery or not (going the 'full mile' on a single battery for the shoot), etc

I hope these pictures clarify what I mean.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Andy

February 2nd, 2021, 9:23 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. It's a cool idea but unfortunately not feasible. I don't think I know of any camera that tells us the actual battery level. Most of them just translate how many "bars" are shown in the battery icon to a percentage. We usually just get 20/40/60/80/100% or 25/50/75/100%. Moreover, we have no idea about the health of the battery. We have some batteries in the office that are so worn down that they go from a full-charge to zero in about 10 minutes. We would not be able to take this into account either.

So, nope, not possible.
Andy
Unfoolishly

February 2nd, 2021, 10:19 pm

Andy wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 9:23 pm
Ah, I see what you mean. It's a cool idea but unfortunately not feasible. I don't think I know of any camera that tells us the actual battery level. Most of them just translate how many "bars" are shown in the battery icon to a percentage. We usually just get 20/40/60/80/100% or 25/50/75/100%. Moreover, we have no idea about the health of the battery. We have some batteries in the office that are so worn down that they go from a full-charge to zero in about 10 minutes. We would not be able to take this into account either.

So, nope, not possible.
Too bad. It makes me always think what Nikon was feeding the camera users with that D90 double battery handgrip in which you could see in the display of the camera on each battery the power level, the health of the battery and the lifecycle of the battery (0 - 4 years). So that is an illusion Nikon was feeding their camera users, if you ask me. Theory and practise again, a huge difference!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly