USB lead on Sony A7r4

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
Incredibish

October 13th, 2023, 7:11 pm

My Unleashed22 has arrived and I am beginning to explore it slowly. I'm finding the domination of Canon and Nikon in the help videos unhelpful. Most of all though I'm unhappy that the USB lead from the Unleashed plugs in to the Sony A7r4 with the lead exiting the plug end hard against the door... this is almost certainly going to lead to early failure even if the door is left open and the unit never unplugged.
Oliver

October 15th, 2023, 10:24 pm

You're right, the Sony 7RM4 is one of the few cameras where the HDMI port bottom is oriented toward the front of the camera. I'd say about 95% of cameras (if not more) have it oriented toward the back of the camera, so we designed the cable to exit in that direction. Going off to either side would have meant we would not have been able to support a lot of the cameras where the HDMI and USB ports are very close together, as there are plenty of cameras where the USB port is above and plenty with it below the HDMI port.
Since we support so many cameras it's impossible that the cables are optimal on every single one of the supported cameras.

But don't worry so much about it failing - we chose very, very resilient cables. There are only two leads in that cable, with a TPE insulation. TPE is really strong, and even maintains its very high flexibility in very cold temperatures. The leads are enamelled multi-stranded wires, which do not break, even if you pinch the wire or bend it with a very small bend radius.

About the videos - yeah, you might have also noticed that the videos are all still for the Unleashed '18. Most still applies for the Unleashed '22, but we're planning to add more videos in the near future!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.