Connection with PINE II controller and slider

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
Oliver

January 11th, 2024, 10:15 am

The Unleashed searches for the PINE as an accessory by filtering Bluetooth devices with names that start with "PINE". I don't know if it's possible at all, but could it be that you renamed your PINE controller? if so, please change it back to begin with "PINE", you can customise anything after, eg "PINE 1234"

When you say "latest" firmware, please specify the version number. Especially with the issue of the PINE App not installing the correct "latest" firmware as described above, that's quite important.
I'll check back with the guys from PINE if there's an update on this.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
klaario

January 11th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Thank you, Oliver, for your post.

My apologies for not including the firmware details. Of course you would reasonably expect that I would provide that important information so you could help us out!

Here it is, copied and pasted from a screenshot of the Unleashed app version 3.1.0 :

UNLEASHED N1
Serial Number: 010839
Firmware Version:
A 3.2.0
B 3.2.0
С 3.1.0
Firmware is up to date.

The Black Forest Motion Pine II is running the latest firmware from them, which is 7.4 .

On both iOS and iPadOS, it is not possible to change the Pine II device name in the connected Bluetooth devices section of either operating system. As a result, even if we wanted to, we are not able to change the Pine II device name (which has always shown up as being named “C?” for some reason).

On Android 10, it is possible to change the device name in the Bluetooth section of the operating system menu. As with the iOS and iPadOS devices, the Pine II by default shows up as simply “C?” in the Bluetooth connected devices menu.

Based upon a suggestion earlier this morning in an email from Moritz at Black Forest Motion about the possibility of the device name causing an issue connecting to the Unleashed ‘22, I did change it from “C?” to “Pine” in the connected Bluetooth devices section of Android 10. Unfortunately, the Pine II controller still does not show up in the Accessories menu in the Unleashed app for Android 10.

I should mention here that our long-term plans is to only use an iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 17.2.1 with the iOS version of the Unleashed app and the BFM Pine Controller app once we are finally able to make this Bluetooth connection between the Unleashed ‘22 and the Pine II.

It is only for troubleshooting purposes that we are temporarily attempting to use a 2022 iPad Pro running iPadOS 17.2 and even our DJI RC Pro running Android 10 to try to make this Bluetooth connection work between Pine II and Unleashed ‘22.

As stated previously, thankfully all other functions of our Unleashed ‘22 are working correctly with our Nikon Z 9.

What is the next step, please?
klaario

January 11th, 2024, 10:51 pm

Hooray: we were *finally* able to get the Unleashed '22 to connect to the Black Forest Motion Pine II controller this afternoon!

Following a suggestion by Moritz over at BFM, we changed the name of the Pine II from "C?" to "PINE II" in all caps. (Not sure how it ended up being named "C?" in the first place. It is not a name that we came up with on our own.)

To change the device name, you must go to the “Connections” section of the Pine Controller app, then click on the orange circular icon with the pen in it, then type in “PINE II” in all caps in the text box of the “Controller Name” field, then stop the Pine Controller app from running, then restart it.

Doing so causes the "PINE II" device to show up in the Accessories section of the Unleashed app. What a relief and a joy to see that device finally show up and get connected!

We've confirmed that when the Black Forest Motion Pine II is in the so-called "Slave" mode and when the time lapse sequence has been started first from the Pine Controller app, the Unleashed app now instructs the Pine II to move the Black Forest Motion motor(s) to the next positions during the specified interval.

Thanks go to Oliver from Foolography and Moritz over at Black Forest Motion for helping us to resolve this connectivity issue.

Onward and upward!
Oliver

January 12th, 2024, 10:11 am

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it!
Looking forward to seeing some results from you!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.