New Firmware - Releasenotes

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
Siempo2000

June 20th, 2019, 11:49 am

Hello Foolography Team,

Just installed the new firmware and i noticed the phrase "Support for pairing accessories" in the What's new section on the Apple Appstore.
Now to me it looks like i should be able to pair external BLE GPS receiver, but it would be nice if we can have a proper release notes section somewhere here on the forum including how to use the new functionalities and supported devices etc.

Thanks
Oliver

June 20th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Hi Siempo,

yes, it's not possible to pair a Holux M-241 Plus with the Unleashed (and use it without the Smartphone). However, we have not done enough testing with it to be able to officially support it - hence there's no additional info.
If you'd like to test it, and don't mind purchasing the Holux, you're very welcome to do so and give us feedback. We had to reverse engineer the BLE protocol for the Holux, and are confident in most of that, but did notice an error we had in the decoding of the date, as we have very little data to work with. That's fixed now, but we're still not 100% sure it'll still be right in 2020 ;-)

We also don't have enough experience with the Holux M-241 Plus to be able to wholeheartedly recommend it, but we did love their previous products, so I wouldn't worry there.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Tmiller225

July 4th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I have the Holux and would like to try it with my Unleashed, but need pairing instructions.
Terry
Oliver

July 5th, 2019, 11:35 am

Hi Terry,

no problem:

1. Pair the Unleashed with a phone.

2. Tap the Unleashed settings icon at the bottom of the app’s menu.

3. Tap on the Unleashed that you want to pair the Holux M-241 Plus to. Note: Make sure the Unleashed is plugged in, the camera is turned on, and that it is connected to the App.

4. Tap “Accessories”.

5. In this screen, the Unleashed is continuously searching for accessories such as the Holux M-241 Plus. Turn on the Holux and make sure Bluetooth is turned on in its settings menu!

6. In the app, the Holux should now appear in the list. Tap on the Holux you want to pair. If the pairing was successful, the Holux will show a Bluetooth Icon at the front of the Display, and in the app, will move to the top area (above the "Searching" text).

7. The Holux is now successfully paired to the Unleashed, and you will have two new GPS Modes available.

8. Back in the PHOTO screen (press X at the bottom of the screen to get there), select one of the two new GPS modes: external GPS (only) or external GPS with fallback to smartphone (if the external GPS loses its fix or it can't be connected to anymore, the Unleashed will start using the Smartphone's location).

9. Make sure your GPS has a fix (small, odd looking satellite icon in the GPS's LCD) and check if your camera saves the location. To be sure it's the GPS's location and not the smartphone's from before, unplug your camera battery (or the unleashed) and plug it back. now the last location will definitely be deleted, and if you have the GPS mode set to "external GPS", you can be sure it's getting it only from the GPS.

Keep an eye on the Date - this is the one part of the Holux protocol we're not 100% confident we decoded correctly. Make sure you at the beginning of each month, and especially on the 1st of September ;-)

If you notice anything else odd, please let me know!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.