Possible to Allow 1s interval for time lapse?

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
marshall

July 20th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Hi all,

I recently got the Unleashed for my Nikon Z7 and it is pretty awesome so far.

I have seen one limitation though. When I choose the time lapse mode, and I choose an interval of 1 second, I'm unable to start the time lapse with most shutter speeds. It gives me an error saying that it needs 1 second for processing time. However, I know my camera can go as slow as 1/1.3 with a 1 second interval as I have shot many time lapses with those settings.

Is there any way to override this error message so that I can start my time lapse?

It does seem to work if I choose a shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster, but nothing slower than 1/1000.

Thanks,
Marshall
Unfoolishly

July 20th, 2020, 11:22 pm

marshall wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 10:39 pm
Hi all,

I have seen one limitation though. When I choose the time lapse mode, and I choose an interval of 1 second, I'm unable to start the time lapse with most shutter speeds. It gives me an error saying that it needs 1 second for processing time. However, I know my camera can go as slow as 1/1.3 with a 1 second interval as I have shot many time lapses with those settings.
Hi all,

I am joining in on this subject, because I have an additional/likewise wish: is it possible to set an extra setting called "exposure time" next to "interval" and "duration" in the timelapse screen of the Unleashed App? I don't mean the shutterspeed, which can be set to 30" (= 30 seconds) on a Nikon D7100. I mean: can I set the timelapse settings as if I am taking a long exposure photo but in a timeframe fashion.
Example:

Interval: every 10 min. (thus 6 photo's in an hour)
Duration: 24 hours (thus 144 photo's in a day)
Exposure time: 10 min. (could also be a checkbox indicating: "expose between intervals: y/n" ?)

I am not sure how I set this up using the App. I don't think this is yet possible, only 30 seconds of exposure on a Nikon D7100 is possible for max exposure. Maybe set the camera to bulb, but what about the "take next photo in 10 min", that needs to be set by the Unleashed App to program the Unleashed hardware. I have no idea how to do that?
I need a way to FOOL the camera, thus the Unleashed has to do it for me ;-)

Small update: it is possible to set the App in Timelapse mode in bulb mode, but then a warning appears: "Selected shutter speed not supported in this mode".
So it is not (yet) supported, but I sure would like to have this option/feature as well. Do "long" exposures in timelapse mode.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

July 23rd, 2020, 3:14 pm

@marshall

Thanks for the report! You're only the second customer that has even noticed! We're planning on loosening this restriction, to make it a warning instead of a blocking error. it's a small app issue - the firmware can already handle this! I guess our internal calculation of 1/1000s rounds to 0s, so 1s-0s=1s ;-) That's why it works with 1/1000 or shorter.
I can't promise a release date, but I'll try squeeze it into our development plan.

@unfoolishly

This is possible with our long exposure feature: set camera to BULB, set the long exposure setting (the one below shutterspeed) to 10m, then set your interval & duration.

You can either set the long exposure on the PHOTO screen, then go to the TIMELAPSE screen, or in the TIMELAPSE screen tap on the camera settings at the top to go to a subscreen where you see the camera settings almost as in the PHOTO screen.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
marshall

July 24th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Oliver wrote:
@marshall

Thanks for the report! You're only the second customer that has even noticed! We're planning on loosening this restriction, to make it a warning instead of a blocking error. it's a small app issue - the firmware can already handle this! I guess our internal calculation of 1/1000s rounds to 0s, so 1s-0s=1s ;-) That's why it works with 1/1000 or shorter.
I can't promise a release date, but I'll try squeeze it into our development plan.
Oliver, thanks for the response.
No rush from me on that fix. :)
Usually when I use a 1s interval I don't need to ramp so I could just use my camera's interal intervalometer for that scenario. Thanks for the awesome product!
zoom

October 5th, 2020, 12:21 am

Oliver wrote:
@marshall

Hi Oliver,

Do you think we can fix this in your next App release or near future? It sounds like a straight forward change per your description.

For moonrise/moonset timelapse, most photographers set an interval of one second (one of my friends uses 0.5 sec interval for the telephoto lapse with D850) against the fast movement of the moon. I can use the camera's interval intervalometer, but I really want to take advantage of the exposure ramping function during the evening/morning time. My moonrise/moonset timelapse usually ends up with 2 stops exposure descrease/increase. When it's overexposed 2 stops, it's hard to recover.

Thanks!
Zoom
Oliver

October 19th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Hey,

Ah, well for your use-case, I'm afraid I can't make any promises. The issue is that our Auto-ramping algorithms require some time too, so reducing the interval is very likely going to interfere with those.
We'll do some testing in the next weeks to see what we can safely reduce it to.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
zoom

October 21st, 2020, 7:31 pm

Thanks Oliver.

I did experience some auto ramping issues when the interval and shutter speed is too close to each other with my Canon 5d4.

I set the interval to 18 sec and night shutter limit to 15 sec with the modified lrt day to night algorism beta auto ramp. I noticed that right after the iso was being ramped to the max 3200 (aperture already opened up to f/2.8), it started to lost half of shots constantly. I immediately stopped it and reset the interval to 20 sec, then it worked.

It's interesting to see it worked fine at 18 sec interval with the 15 sec shutter speed when the iso was not maxed out.

This is my observation. Not sure it's my camera's issue or unleashed's limitation.

I can increase the buffer for a much slower shutter speed like 15 sec. But I still wish we can have the 1 sec interval available as the title said for moonset/moonrise timelapse.

Thanks,
Zoom