Tethering

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
wurzel555

October 19th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased the Unleashed for my Canon 6D but now it is no longer possible to Tether the camera to my laptop as the USB port is used.

Time lapse and astral photography can result in a lot of photos being taken but with the Unleashed plugged in it is not possible to view them except on the screen on the camera.

I know you made this gadget as small as possible but is there no way to make it slightly bigger an add a mini/micro usb port to it?

Cheers
Oliver

October 19th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Hi,

Sorry, but unfortunately, that won't work. the space for a USB port is one thing, but we'd need another chip and all the firmware for that to support another USB connection, which would be a very complex undertaking. Since the Unleashed is designed to make tethering obsolete in most ways and provide a much more portable solution for all things timelapse and remote control, it's also not something we plan to add in the future. However we are working on the capability to transfer larger image previews to the smartdevices, so maybe this will solve your problem too. Stay tuned for that.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
EXPOTRAFFIC

May 21st, 2021, 8:59 pm

I'd like to respond to Oliver. Thank you for participating in your discussion boards.

Tethering is pretty critical for architectural and food photography. Some of the reasons that food and architectural photographers shoot tethered include:

1. view photos on very large screen, to check for focus, lighting, composition, etc.
2. broadcast images in real-time to iPads for collaboration with art directors, chefs, architects, other creatives in the room.
3. back-up images to secure fast SSD drives connected to the tethered laptop.

I would hope you would consider adding USB passthrough as the OP requested.

Thank you.
Oliver

May 24th, 2021, 10:26 pm

Hi,
I understand tethering can be important for several use-cases. However, in these use-cases, your tethering software can also control most of the functions of the camera, so there's not a big overlapping need to use the Unleashed in these same use-cases.

What exactly would you want to use the Unleashed for while tethering?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.