L-Cage compatible

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
sorenbunnyjensen

February 16th, 2021, 8:30 am

I use the L-Bracket from "3 legged thing"

https://www.3leggedthing.com/zelda

Is the Unleashed device compatible with this setup ?
Oliver

February 19th, 2021, 1:07 am

I can't guarantee it, since we haven't actually tested it, but from the photos it looks like the Unleashed will fit right into that cutout. Compare these photos:

The Unleashed is almost exactly the same size as the rubber cover over the connector it plugs into.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
sorenbunnyjensen

February 21st, 2021, 4:33 pm

Thanx for your reply.

Got my Unleashed today and it is a perfect fit!!

I need to figure out a handy way to "protect" the loosened rubber seal when the Unleashed is plugged in...
Oliver

February 21st, 2021, 11:16 pm

I'm glad to hear it!
Post a photo here when you have the chance.

You might get away with only opening the bottom section of the rubber cover - especially if you're only/mainly using the Unleashed's features that don't require the cable.
Otherwise, you might be able to tuck the whole cover away between L-Bracket and camera body,
sorenbunnyjensen

February 22nd, 2021, 8:18 am

What is the USB cable used for ?
Fil_000.jpeg
Fil_000.jpeg (170.88 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
Oliver

February 22nd, 2021, 10:20 pm

Thanks!

If you want to make it even neater: The Unleashed's casing is bevelled on the back. While this was designed to allow you to grip it a little better to be able to pull it out of the camera, it also means that there's a little extra space which is just enough for the cable. So either before attaching (or fully fastening) the L-bracket, or by slightly removing the Unleashed, you can tuck the cable behind the Unleashed, or between Unleashed an L-Bracket.

If you're OK with taking a risk, you can even try to remove the rubber cover entirely:
here's a photo of what's on the inside of the camera:
from Lensrentals teardown: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/1 ... ss-camera/

The part of the rubber flap that protrudes into the camera, has thicker part on the inside, which prevents you from pulling it out. It's quite likely that with just the right amount of pulling and wiggling, and maybe a tiny drop of oil, you'd be able to pull it out without breaking it. That said: if you ever want to replace it, it will also be difficult to get back in! You'd probably need to find a way to compress the thick end of the rubber before or even while you push it back in.

There is of course a chance that you will rip the rubber, and the thicker end will stay inside the camera, so proceed at your own risk. I have not personally tried this on the Z6/Z7, so I can't guarantee success.
ubecker

February 22nd, 2021, 11:44 pm

Ich antworte dazu mal in deutsch.
Ich habe an meiner Z6 diese Gummiabdeckung auch erstmal entfernt. Geht eigentlich recht einfach. Mit einer kleinen flachen Zange den Gummizapfen packen und langsam herausziehen. Hatte ich kein Problem mit. Auch lässt sich das wieder einsetzen. Dazu einen kleinen 1,5mm Schraubendreher direkt auf den Rand des Zapfens mit ein wenig druck. Dann rutscht der auch wieder zurück und sitzt wie vorher.
Mur Mut, klappt.
Gruß Udo
Gruß Udo
Oliver

February 25th, 2021, 10:24 am

Danke für den Bericht! Gut zu wissen.

I'll translate:
I removed the rubber cover from my Z6. It's actually quite simple. With small, flat pliers (needle nose), grab the rubber pin, and pull out slowly. I had no problem. It's also possible to re-insert. Just put a small (1.5mm) flat-head screwdriver directly onto the edge of that pin and add a bit of pressure. It slips right back in and sits in place like before.
Just dare to do it - it works.
sorenbunnyjensen

February 25th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Thanx a lot

You did not reply to what the cable is used for ? Do I need it for timelapse ?
Oliver

February 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Ah, sorry, missed that - it was so close to the picture, I thought you just posted the picture.

It's our most viewed FAQ:
https://www.foolography.com/faqs/why-do ... all-cable/

See more FAQs and Howto's here: https://www.foolography.com/support/unleashed/

The Unleashed N1/N2 plugs directly into a 10-pin port on Nikon DSLRs. Through this port we get power and camera state. Remote triggering, intervalometer as well as geotagging are possible on all Nikons through this port alone. On newer DSLRs (since about 2012), we can even control almost all settings through this port, so changing settings, manual and automatic exposure ramping are possible without a USB cable entirely. On older Nikons you’ll need to connect the USB cable for changing settings. On all Nikons, the USB cable enables getting thumbnails, and also activates some extra settings, most notably metering mode (spot/matrix/center-weighted). It also makes automatic switching to video mode a little easier. Additionally, there are more image histogram based algorithms available for Autoramping. Even with the optional cable connected, the Unleashed N1/N2 is still smaller than the Canon C1/C2 versions, and we made the cable just long enough, really flexible and with right-angled plugs that are as small as possible.