Nikon D750 and L-bracket...

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
jayphoto

February 27th, 2021, 5:57 am

I just received the N2 for the D750. I also have the Sunwayfoto L-bracket.

The Unleashed fits, but the cable cannot be plugged in to it with the L-bracket attached.

Is it known if there is any brand of L-bracket that will allow the cable to be plugged into the Unleashed without modifying the L-bracket?

Thank you!
Unfoolishly

February 27th, 2021, 12:31 pm

jayphoto wrote:
... I also have the Sunwayfoto L-bracket ...
Hi jayphoto,

Which L-bracket of Sunwayfoto do you have exactly? There are more L-brackets of this brand.
It is always good to share with others which L-brackets cause trouble or fit perfectly with the Unleashed hardware.
Thanks.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

February 27th, 2021, 1:11 pm

jayphoto wrote:
I just received the N2 for the D750. I also have the Sunwayfoto L-bracket.
The Unleashed fits, but the cable cannot be plugged in to it with the L-bracket attached.
Yeah, the D750 is special - it actually determined many of the dimensions of the N2, because we had to make it JUST fit under the eyelet for the camera strap. Initially we had planned on making an N3, but both N2 and N3 were planned about 2-3 times the size the N2 is now. The N3 would have been identical to the N2, but the plug rotated by 180 degrees. When we managed to make the N2 that much smaller, we were able to just squeeze it under that eyelet.

The easiest scenario for the D750 (and any other camera where the L-bracket interferes with the Unleashed), is to shift the L-Bracket over by 5mm or so, to leave space for the Unleashed between the side of the camera body and the L Bracket. Most L-brackets nowadays have a slot for the tripod screw to attach the camera to allow this.

But if you're up for it, just cut out a piece of the cross-bar to just allow the Unleashed (or rather the plug of the cable that plugs into the Unleashed) to fit. Don't cut it though all the way, but rather cut or file to a certain depth, to keep the rigidity of the L-Bracket.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
jayphoto

February 27th, 2021, 3:42 pm

The Sunwayfoto L-bracket is the PNL-D750R.

Thank you for the story about the N2 and N3. That helps me to understand things better and answers a thought I had: could a 180-degree version of the N2 be made.

I did consider shifting the L-bracket but preferred not to work with a camera that was 5mm larger than necessary (I'm funny/picky that way).

I will notch the bracket to accommodate the plug. I just wanted to know if there were any alternatives I hadn't considered.

I appreciate the detailed replies!
mathieucarbou

May 10th, 2021, 9:30 pm

I had the same issue. It wasn't hard for me to cut a cheap L bracket.

More pics: https://www.mathieu.photography/Misc/D7 ... -L-Bracket

Senior Software Engineer | Java
Hobby photographer and reviewer
🌐 mathieu.photography
starbase218

January 8th, 2023, 10:43 pm

Hi. I just wanted to add that I recently bought this L-bracket, and it works:

It doesn't allow for the USB cable to be connected, but I mostly wanted this for geotagging anyway.