Loss of GPS Signal / fix

Bugs and Issues only for the Beta version of our apps and firmware
Dewcal

August 28th, 2021, 9:44 pm

Using N2 on Z9 paired with QSTARZ logger to get GPS fix only - not usign app on phone, USB cable disconencted. Took some 45 shots during the afternoon and they all have the GPS fix embedded. The next four shots did NOT have the GPS embedded.
The camera had NOT been switched off and it is set to have a five minute screen on to avoid waiting for the EVF to start up when photographing nature.
The QSTARZ remained on and showing hte green light to indicate a fix as well as a solid blue to suggest the BT had paired.
By the time I uploaded the images camera and logger had been switched off.
Will see if it happens again.
Dave
Dewcal

August 30th, 2021, 6:46 am

Using N2, no USB cable, Z7, QSTARZ BL-1000ST yesterday I took a series of 15 shots over a period of an hour or so. The camera was not switched on until the QSTARZ had obtained a GPS fix and the two paired within5 seconds.
I still found one shot without a GPS fix - the times of shooting are below.
09.49.55 - GPS Fix
09.50.37 - NO fix
09.51.32 - GPS Fix

The camera is not switched off between shots - the screen timeout is set to five minutes to avoid loss of EVF. The QSTARZ resides in a shirt pocket so will not have been out of range.
All other images did have a good fix - the location data changed as I wandered around.
Unfoolishly

August 30th, 2021, 8:34 am

Dewcal wrote:
August 30th, 2021, 6:46 am
Using N2, no USB cable, Z7, QSTARZ BL-1000ST yesterday I took a series of 15 shots over a period of an hour or so. The camera was not switched on until the QSTARZ had obtained a GPS fix and the two paired within5 seconds.
I still found one shot without a GPS fix - the times of shooting are below.
09.49.55 - GPS Fix
09.50.37 - NO fix
09.51.32 - GPS Fix

The camera is not switched off between shots - the screen timeout is set to five minutes to avoid loss of EVF. The QSTARZ resides in a shirt pocket so will not have been out of range.
All other images did have a good fix - the location data changed as I wandered around.
Just to make sure: have you updated the QStarz GPS receiver with the latest firmware update? This must be applied to make sure that it isn't (also) caused by the GPS receiver.
Latest firmware version of QStarz BL-1000ST is: FWS0.01.04

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

August 30th, 2021, 10:46 am

Hi,

could you give me any more info on the timing?
You wrote that 45 images have GPS data embedded, but the next 4 don't:
could you check by the timestamps on the photos how much time passed from connecting to the Qstarz until you stopped getting GPS data?
Also: could you check whether the GPS position stopped updating after a while? (The Unleashed continues to write the last known GPS data to the camera for a certain time, with just the timestamps being updated)

You are on the latest Beta firmware, right? (we changed a lot concerning how to connect/disconnect from Accessories)

@dewcal: The LED on the Unleashed will blink red in alternation with the usual LED signals whenever there is an issue with the GPS data.

@Unfoolishly: this is a very bad example use-case of your feature wish - first thing Dave writes is that he's not using the app on the smartphone at all ;-)
[edit: feature wish discussion moved here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1061 ]
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Dewcal

August 30th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Swwitched on QSTARZ about 09.00hrs before taking first series of photos during the day - all had GPS data. Left QSTARZ running and switched off camera until about 18.00hrs. Took first image at 18.18hrs and about one image per minute until image at 18.31 did not have GPS data. I only saw this when reviewing the images later that evening.
The GPS data changed continuously as I moved around - suggesting that the unleashed was getting a changing signal constantly.
May not be able to test any further on Z7 as trading it in for a Z7-2 next week.
HTH
Dave
Dewcal

August 30th, 2021, 11:26 pm

@Unfoolishly: Will check the QSTARZ firmware.