Some FW updating problems when going from 1.4.2 to 2.0.0 BETA-3

Bugs and Issues only for the Beta version of our apps and firmware
Unfoolishly

October 3rd, 2021, 10:47 pm

Hi All,

There are some FW updating problems when going from 1.4.2 to 2.0.0 BETA-3.
The main problem is that the FW A updating process hangs at 99% and causes the App to hang as well (unresponsive).
FW C and FW B update well, FW A halts at 99%, App hangs because of FW A doesn't reach 100%.
After a while the App needs to be terminated/killed and the camera turned off/on, or battery flipping.
Then the App and Unleashed start behaving as predicted with all FWs updated to 2.0.0 BETA-3.

Please try to improve the last phase in the App and the Unleashed so that the App stays responsive.

Snapshots:
Screenshot_20211003-134521.png
Screenshot_20211003-134556.png
Screenshot_20211003-134622.png
Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Unfoolishly

October 3rd, 2021, 10:54 pm

More snapshots:

App reports that Unleashed is initializing, but is actually hanging in init-phase.

Screenshot_20211003-134908.png

Firmware is updated successfully, but Unleashed stays disconnected, even after a long wait. Battery flipping is the only option to get it connected again.

Screenshot_20211003-134941.png

Finally in finished state: updated and connected again.

Screenshot_20211003-135114.png
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Unfoolishly

October 3rd, 2021, 11:18 pm

Here is the logfile:

2021-10-03-07-33-46.zip
Oliver

October 4th, 2021, 9:32 am

What's the color of the Unleashed in this state? Red? Dark Blue (blinking)? Yellow or Turqoise slow pulsing or solid turquoise?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

October 4th, 2021, 9:52 am

Oliver wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 9:32 am
What's the color of the Unleashed in this state? Red? Dark Blue (blinking)? Yellow or Turqoise slow pulsing or solid turquoise?
Good question. I wasn't really paying attention on the coloring of the LED, but was busy taking snapshots with the smartphone.
If I recall correctly, the updating process was a bit different between BETA-1/2 and BETA-3. App became more unresponsive (black screen in App, totally black, not responding at all for a while).

Maybe a MANUAL would help remember what stages the Unleashed goes through during updating?
Maybe different color coding would help during updating, like: BLUE+GREEN, BLUE+RED, BLUE+YELLOW.

I did see the following colors: BLUE, RED, YELLOW, TURQUOISE. Some blinking, some solid. Can't remember which ones blinking and in what order.
Can't you see that in the LOG file?

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Oliver

October 4th, 2021, 10:00 am

I only need to know the color while the app was stuck at 99%.
And no, we can't see that in the log.

I wonder if the firmware is actually done (and booted back to normal mode - ie yellow if not connected, turquoise if connected), and the app just didn't get that last bit of information that it's done, or if the Firmware is still in DFU mode (red if not connected, blue if connected, blinking blue if still updating).
Unfoolishly

October 4th, 2021, 10:24 am

Oliver wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 10:00 am
I only need to know the color while the app was stuck at 99%.
And no, we can't see that in the log.

I wonder if the firmware is actually done (and booted back to normal mode - ie yellow if not connected, turquoise if connected), and the app just didn't get that last bit of information that it's done, or if the Firmware is still in DFU mode (red if not connected, blue if connected, blinking blue if still updating).
At the end of all Unleasheds updating, two were slowly pulsing turquoise, one was slowly pulsing red/yellow. I turned all cameras OFF and went to bed.
I think the FW A updating process need some overhaul, or at least some inspection, because sometimes the upload icon stays in the top bar, the FW updating UI hangs at 99% and the App itself hangs/freezes.

Maybe a colored visualized flowchart of LED states would help a lot in a MANUAL and also within the APP, so that the coloring of the LED is also in sync with the updating UI and your users can track & trace within the APP what the updating stage is of the Unleashed and see that reflected on the LED color of the Unleashed?

That will help a lot to detect anomalies in the process by your users more easily.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Oliver

October 16th, 2021, 1:07 pm

So, we tried a lot, and simply could not reproduce this issue on any of our testing phones, no matter what we tried.

We did find a crash log which we think is one of your crashes, giving us some hints, but unfortunately our logging system (which we initially implemented for checking a very specific bug) was always reset on an app restart. since after crashing the app always restarts, we couldn't find any valuable info in the report files you sent.

In Beta 4, we changed the implementation of the log file, which should survive any crash. So we would appreciate it if you could downgrade the apps using nRF connect (you only need to downgrade the C file - then upgrade again using the Unleashed app, until you get the 99% error.

We're very certain that the issue that causes the 99% is the one that ultimately leads to the app hanging/crashing, as well as leaving the icon in the top bar. So we need to figure what's causing the 99% issue. Please check the LED on the Unleashed when the app reaches and gets stuck on 99%.
Red? Dark Blue (blinking)? Yellow or Turqoise slow pulsing or solid turquoise?

One thought that I had: is it possible that you had a second phone that was also paired with the same Unleasheds, that might have "stolen" the connection?
The Unleashed reboots after it is done with the update, and changes back to "normal" mode. after this reboot, the app needs to reconnect, and if another phone is trying to reconnect at exactly the same time, there's no guarantee which one will get the connection first...