GPS Data not written

Bugs and Issues only for the Beta version of our apps and firmware
Dewcal

October 7th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Nikon Z7-II with Qstarz logger and NOT using app (no USB cable conencted).
When I have a GPS fix on the Qstarz and then switch camera on, the N2 will, in about 5 seconds, talk to Qstarz and write GPS data to image file.
If I then put the camera down, walk away such that the BT connection is broken, when I return to camera no GPS data is written. The Qstarz has a solid blue light indicating that it has a BT conenction while the N2 is continuously flashing red.
Switching camera off / on does NOT restore data writing.
I have to switch off cmaera, physically remove and replace the N2 and then switch camera back on. I then have GPS data in about 5 seconds or so.
This happens with both native Z lenses and using the FTZ adaptor.

While this behaviour may be OK for landscapes and other work where you have time to compose, for wildlife it is a no-no as you often only get to see the subject for 3-4 seconds!
Any thoughts?
Oliver

October 7th, 2021, 4:54 pm

Hmm, that's odd. We haven't had such a report until now.
Normally the Unleashed should try to reconnect to the GPS if you wake up the camera (meter turns on, or we detect a half-press)

Maybe the Qstarz thinks it remains connected, and the Unleashed can't reconnect anymore? Does the Qstarz keep its solid blue led while you walk away? or does it go to blinking while you're gone, and back to solid blue when you're back in range?

We'll have another look at our reconnection logic there.

In the meantime, just FYI: instead of removing the Unleashed, you can also remove the camera battery - that's usually a little easier.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

October 7th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Just double-checking: are you already using the Beta App & Firmware?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Dewcal

October 7th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Using the beta firmware / app from a couple of weeks ago - no notification on Android there has been an update. What is easiest way to check if using the latest FW etc?
Qstarz blue light remains solid suggesting it "has" a connection. No other devices have ever been paired with the Qstarz. N2 has flashing red light sugegsting it is trying to conenct.....
Acknowledge battery pull option however this looses battery info on camera.....