Firmware Update failing [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
rehb0ck

February 19th, 2019, 10:22 pm

While trying to update the firmware of my unleashed (C2) it completes C and B but fails on A.
I tried on iOS (iPhone X) and Android (P20 Pro), took out the cam (5D III) battery to reset, tried to forget the unleashed in the app, reinstalled the app.

Any hint what else I could try to update?

Firmware info now reads:
A 1.0.1
B 1.2.0
C 1.2.1
Oliver

February 23rd, 2019, 12:39 am

Sorry for the trouble.
The most common problem with the firmware update is that the unleashed looses power and can't complete the firmware update.

That's why we added the warning in the update screen for Canons: You have to keep the camera "awake" by holding the cameras shutterbutton half-pressed during the entire update, or pressing it repeatedly every 5 seconds or so.

If that doesn't help, please send us a screen recording of the update process, either link it here or send it to support@foolography.com
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
rehb0ck

March 10th, 2019, 9:54 am

Hi Oliver,
thanks for your reply and sorry for being unresponsive for such a long time. I finally managed to record a videoclip of the upgrade process failing and put it on youtube. Please find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjjryQ_Xk4
Tell me if there is anything else you want me to test.
Thanks again,
Freddy
Oliver

March 19th, 2019, 11:48 pm

Hmm, that doesn't look very good.
We know the problem, but unfortunately not what the cause is.
The problem is that we have two microcontrollers in our Unleashed - one responsible for controlling the camera (A) and one for Bluetooth (B). (C) is the part that handles the firmware updates.
The problem is that to update the firmware of A, we need to do it through the Bluetooth chip, and for some unknown reason, the Bluetooth chip cannot enable the firmware updating mode of A.

The same mechanism is used during production, so I know for sure that it is generally capable of doing this, so with enough retries you might manage at some point, but it is something we need to have another look at. The reason we haven't been able to do so is that all our development Unleasheds (with lots of wires for debug output) don't exhibit this problem, so it's been impossible to debug so far.

Give it a few more tries, and if it still doesn't work, we'll swap your unit for a new one - and maybe add some debug wiring to your device to track down the cause of the problem.

Sorry for the trouble!
rehb0ck

April 8th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Alright, I kept trying it for a few more times - the problem is still the same. Gonna send it to you guys tomorrow.
Thanks for being honest, transparent and helpful!
Freddy
Oliver

April 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Hey rehb0ck,

We're just working on this firmware update issue, and are getting closer to a solution. We have a device here that showed an extreme reluctancy for firmware updates, with only very few getting through.
We haven't found the root of the problem yet, but have found a couple of ways to improve the chances of it working.

You're still welcome to send yours in - you've been waiting long enough, please add your forum handle and RMA number 190401 to your shipment. It will be good for us to have a C2 exhibiting the same symptoms to test on.
rehb0ck

April 13th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Hi Oliver,

as already said, I tried to send the device to you, but yesterday it came back. I found your company's postal address on this site: https://www.foolography.com/contact/. Is that somehow outdated?

IMG_20190413_141542.jpg
IMG_20190413_141542.jpg (227.83 KiB) Viewed 7125 times
Oliver

April 13th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Hi Freddy,

Sorry about that. No, it's not outdated, but the opposite - we've just moved there, and the landlord has not yet put our name on our mailbox/doorbell.
on the contact page you can see the postal address: Greifswalder Straße 9, 10405 Berlin.

Oliver
Oliver

May 21st, 2019, 3:29 pm

Hi Freddy,

it was worth sending the Unleashed in! I just tested it with the latest firmware update that fixes the firmware update problem, but yours still can't be updated - it looks like there was a hardware defect after all.

I hope the replacement is doing it's job well!