Z7 compatibility

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
hyy

April 13th, 2019, 12:01 am

When the N2 is plugged in, the Z7's UI controls don't work. For instance, if I push Menu, nothing happens. Same for the i button.

What is odd is that it worked for a couple of weeks but then it stopped.

I just got back my Z7 from Nikon, for an unrelated issue. But they updated my Z7 firmware to the latest version, 1.03, released in mid February.

Has anyone had any luck?
Oliver

April 13th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the Problem!
Can you send me a screenshot of the app, on the PHOTO screen?

We have had a few similar cases - not specifically on the Z7, but other Nikons too. As far as we can tell, it has usually been that the camera thinks the Unleashed is pressing (or half-pressing) the triggerbutton, or the FN button.
Why this occurs after a few weeks of normal operation, we don't know for sure, but we're testing some fixes for it in firmware. If you'd like, you can join our beta program, and can test this firmware earlier than the regular release, just send a mail to beta@foolography.com with your smartphone and camera info, as well as your email you use on the Appstore/Play Store.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
hyy

April 19th, 2019, 3:40 am

IMG_3882.PNG
IMG_3882.PNG (212.92 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I tried it again to verify that the problems still occur. Yes plug it in and the Z7 menus don't work fully. Unplug the Unleashed and they're fine. Plug the Unleashed into the camera again and the menus are borked.

I managed to do a firmware update.

In general in Photo mode the shutter has gray or gold ring. But ALL of the control icons are disabled (grayed out) except for GPS. I tap the shutter button repeatedly and it won't trigger the shutter at all like it did previously. There is haptic feedback but nothing.

Then if I toggle the power on the Z7, all the control icons in the Photo mode are active and I can tap them and see the values I can set. But still the shutter button doesn't work on the camera and eventually all of the control icons dim again.

The GPS data is being sent from the Unleashed app. to the Z7 though, because when I take pictures, I see the UTC time changing. I can't review the pics because the Menu and the D-pad are non-functional with the Unleashed connected.

I've NEVER gotten the Video and Time Lapse modes to work.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=73&p=486#p486

I've been able to get the remote shutter to work and also to send GPS data to it.

Now, the only thing that works is streaming the GPS data over to the Z7 but this at the price of not being able to use the Z7 normally.

Here are the screenshots but only one is under the limit apparently. All of them are 280 kB or greater.
Last edited by hyy on April 19th, 2019, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyy

April 19th, 2019, 3:52 am

Trying the other screenshots in a separate post.
Attachments
IMG_3886.PNG
IMG_3886.PNG (193.71 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
IMG_3885.PNG
IMG_3885.PNG (145.36 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
hyy

April 23rd, 2019, 4:04 am

Any word on this?

Also, I guess when the Unleashed first shipped, there were no USB cables for the Z6/Z7 yet?

So maybe I don't have a proper configuration?

I was willing to go without the time lapse and ramping features, which don't work on my D750 either for now.

But now, I'm not getting any use out of this because it locks up the Z7 menus. when plugged in.
Oliver

April 23rd, 2019, 6:10 pm

Hi Hyy,

If you're seeing the yellow ring around the triggerbutton, that means the Unleashed is getting the info that the camera is currently taking a photo. That's why the app blocks the video and timelapse screens (to protect you from trying to start a video/timelapse, while the camera is shooting - eg during a long exposure).

We're adding a possible fix for this in the next firmware update, but if that doesn't help, we'll exchange your Unleashed for a new one.

And no, don't worry - the missing cables have nothing to do with the rest of the Unleashed - in fact, with the right adapters, the cables already work flawlessly with the Z 6/Z 7. (Micro USB cable + adapter from Micro USB to USB-C). The USB-C cables are currently in production, but unfortunately will still take some time until we have them in Stock.
Oliver

May 21st, 2019, 11:11 am

Hi Hyy,

we just released an app update with new firmware that should fix this issue!
I hope it works for you too, and would appreciate feedback on that!

Sorry it took so long.
hyy

July 10th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Oliver wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:11 am
Hi Hyy,

we just released an app update with new firmware that should fix this issue!
I hope it works for you too, and would appreciate feedback on that!

Sorry it took so long.
Hi just tried 1.4.0, 1.4.2 and 1.3.0 on my Z7.

Initially, it looked like the same behavior.

But I couldn't even trigger the shutter.

Then I toggled the Unleashed power on and off and I could trigger the shutter again. What's more, I could use the controls on the back of my Z7.

I tried video, still doesn't work, still says camera is still shooting.

But I tried turning on LV on the camera and the red button in the app. shows LV. But still says Video trigger is not available. The usual message is that the camera is still shooting.

But I've also seen that it says USB cable isn't plugged in, plug in the USB cable. Is that required, the USB cable plugged into what, the USB-C port and the Unleashed, in order to use the Video mode on the Z7?

The ring around the LV red button is white but the message most of the time is that the Camera is shooting.

After awhile camera controls lock up again. So either I'm unlucky and other Nikon and Unleashed owners aren't having this problem or it's not being reported.
Oliver

July 11th, 2019, 11:31 am

Hi hyy,

If the firmware updates haven't made a difference until now, then you almost certainly have a defective Unleashed. We'll swap it for you. please send an email with your current billing & shipping address and a request for RMA information to support@foolography.com

Greetings,
hyy

July 11th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Thanks. I'm leaving for a trip next week.

Will contact later this month when I'm back.