Long Exposure / Intervalometer

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
mrainer

June 26th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Thank you for the Long exposure feature. I may be a little bit of a control freak however I would have liked to set the number of seconds the shutter is open myself, this is for more accurate exposures. The 1/3 stop idea is interesting. It may work okay the way it is now. It's looking good so far.

Using the S setting on Nikon. it would be great to have a count up timer.

I would love to see an intervalometer added that allows me to set: a delay to start the first exposure this allows the vibration from the mirror going up to settle (not a critical feature for me, but a nice to have)), the number of exposures, duration of exposure, the time between exposures, and exposure value compensation (for me one stop EV is perfect)

The intervalometer would allow me to set the nights shoot once and leave it alone.
Thanks,
Mark

Nikon D810
iPhone-X
iMac
Oliver

July 1st, 2019, 4:47 pm

Hi

Yeah, that was a tough decision, but since all other settings on the camera are in third or half or full stops, that ultimately made us decide for this method. It fit in much better with all the rest of our settings, and so it was easier to implement as well. It's actually implemented in 1/6th stops, so we could easily switch between 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 stop increments in the future (eg depending on how the other settings are set up in the custom Settings menu in the camera)

The numbers look odd at first, but that's because doubling the times doesn't fit well into the minute/hour multiplicators of 60 or 3600. Had it been 64 and 4096 instead, it would have looked perfect ;-)

What we found out as we were implementing this, is that both Nikon and Canon cheated! While you set 15 or 30s exposures in the camera, they actually (and more correctly) keep the shutter open for 16 and 32s respectively. After all, one stop diffference means doubling the exposure, so it should go 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. I believe the 15 and 30s are there only for historic reasons, or to better fit the time intervals we're used to from the rest of the world.

Using the S setting on Nikon. it would be great to have a count up timer.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

Our Firmware actually has had delayed starts of intervals implemented from the beginning, but we still need to figure out a good UI for the apps. We will probably have to rework the entire Timelapse (and especially the Autoramp) Screens in the near future anyway, and when we do, we'll add the delayed start capability too.

We already have plans to add bracketing, and yes, that would be added in a way that's compatible with the intervalometer too. And would (have to) add another value for the number of exposures per interval to be able ot implement this.
If I'm not mistaken, is that what you're looking for?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
mrainer

July 1st, 2019, 10:59 pm

I miss spoke. The "Time" Mode. Since its a press once to start an exposure press again to close the shutter. Including a Count Up feature so a stopwatch isn't needed to count the exposure time.

I'd be happy to beta test if you have a need for another beta tester.

Thanks for all you and your team are doing, you guys rock,
Mark
Thanks,
Mark

Nikon D810
iPhone-X
iMac
Oliver

July 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

Ah,
yes, something along those lines will come too (a clock similar to the one in the timelapse screen) We still need to implement a few UI changes for that.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.