Unleashed 09 and Hollux RCV-3000 no connection [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Markus

June 28th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Hi,

i am trying to use an unleashed 09 with a Holux RCV-3000 but i am not able to establish a Bluetooth connection.

Camera is a Nikon D5300 and/or D5100, Hollux Receiver is RCV-3000 with the MT-3333 Chipset.

Same unleashed 09 works fine with a Holux M-1000C and a Nikon D5300 and Nikon D5100.

Bluetooth PIN is set to 0000 and the RCV-3000 connects to my phone.

Any idea?

Best regards

Markus
Oliver

July 1st, 2019, 3:32 pm

Hi Markus,

you have to follow a specific pairing routine to connect the Unleashed'09 to a new GPS receiver.
This is described in the instructions that came in the box, or you can download them here:
https://www.foolography.com/faqs/how-do ... -receiver/

I hope this helps.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Markus

July 1st, 2019, 5:27 pm

Oliver wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:32 pm
Hi Markus,

you have to follow a specific pairing routine to connect the Unleashed'09 to a new GPS receiver.
This is described in the instructions that came in the box, or you can download them here:
https://www.foolography.com/faqs/how-do ... -receiver/

I hope this helps.

Hi Oliver,

thank you for your fast response.

That's exactly what I did, I tried the procedure at least 20 times, no luck, the LED flashes red / green and turns red for a few seconds, then turns off.

I can pair the RCV-3000 with my Android phone and Android tablet and use it with GPS Toolbox and GPS Status Pro.

I can easily pair the Dx000 with two old clip-on Bluetooth GPS and the Holux M-1000C.

In pairing mode, after a while, I can see a kind of communication between Dx000 and RCV-3000, when the Dx000's LED flashes quickly and alternately, the RCV-3000's Bluetooth LED flashes for one or two seconds.

Are there any firmware updates? I bought the Dx000 in 2013.

Best regards

Markus
Oliver

July 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm

Hmm, OK, that's odd.

The Unleashed'09 did get a Firmware update in 2014, to add support for GLONASS, and some related issues (eg number of satellites being over 12), but I doubt it's related. We were selling the RCV-3000 in Bundle with the Unleashed'09 for a long time.

If you have tools like GPS Status and Toolbox, you can see if you have teh possibility to change the NMEA output of the RCV-3000. The Unleashed'09 needs the GGA and RMC sentences, at 1Hz (or maximally 2Hz). Check if you didn't change that, or if Holux changed the default settings in the last years.

other NMEA sentences typically don't harm the Unleashed, but are not necessary either, so I would turn them off.

Other than that, all I can think of right now is that you make sure the Android phone isn't still connected, as the RCV-3000 can only accept a single connection at a time. Also turn off Bluetooth on the Android phone, so the Unleashed'09 doesn't try to connect to that during pairing.

I hope this helps!

I can send you the latest firmware update, but we only have the updater tool for Mac OS X, and you need an Intel Mac (2007 or newer) to be able to run it. It only takes a minute or two, and comes as a standalone app - no need to install it or install drivers, So if you don't have a mac, you can ask a friend to run the updater on theirs.
send an email to support@foolography.com and we'll send you the updater+instructions.
Markus

July 1st, 2019, 8:44 pm

Oliver wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm
Hmm, OK, that's odd.

The Unleashed'09 did get a Firmware update in 2014, to add support for GLONASS, and some related issues (eg number of satellites being over 12), but I doubt it's related. We were selling the RCV-3000 in Bundle with the Unleashed'09 for a long time.

If you have tools like GPS Status and Toolbox, you can see if you have teh possibility to change the NMEA output of the RCV-3000. The Unleashed'09 needs the GGA and RMC sentences, at 1Hz (or maximally 2Hz). Check if you didn't change that, or if Holux changed the default settings in the last years.

other NMEA sentences typically don't harm the Unleashed, but are not necessary either, so I would turn them off.

Other than that, all I can think of right now is that you make sure the Android phone isn't still connected, as the RCV-3000 can only accept a single connection at a time. Also turn off Bluetooth on the Android phone, so the Unleashed'09 doesn't try to connect to that during pairing.

I hope this helps!

I can send you the latest firmware update, but we only have the updater tool for Mac OS X, and you need an Intel Mac (2007 or newer) to be able to run it. It only takes a minute or two, and comes as a standalone app - no need to install it or install drivers, So if you don't have a mac, you can ask a friend to run the updater on theirs.
send an email to support@foolography.com and we'll send you the updater+instructions.

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for your great service.

GGA and RMC are at 1Hz. The settings are the same as the M-1000C.

I think the firmware update could solve the problem, the new RC-3000 (2018) has GPS / GLONASS and GALILEO support, most of the time it sees more than 12 satellites.

I suspect the RCV-3000 you sold as a bundle was the old MT-3329 chipset, the new one has a MT3333 chipset (Galileo support).

If you could send me the new firmware, I would be happy.
I do not like it, but I have an Intel MAC with OS X 10.14. :-)

I will send an e-mail to the support.

Thanks again for the very good service for a 10 year old product.

Best regards.

Markus
Markus

July 2nd, 2019, 10:01 am

Problem solved!

After the firmware update, the Dx000 now works with my RCV-3000 with MT3333 chipset.

Very good products, very good service, competent staff! Thank you for that.

Best regards

Markus
Oliver

July 2nd, 2019, 3:57 pm

Perfect!
I'm glad to hear it!

You're welcome!