Nikon D3200 & N2 not playing nicely [fixed with FW update]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

June 20th, 2019, 6:22 pm

So, the first tests results are in - it's an issue we can reproduce here, so we'll partially be able to fix it.

I say partially, because Nikon seem to have implemented only a very small subset of commands to control the 3000 series. But you should be able to control the basic settings.

The other issue is that we're not yet sure how easy of a fix it is, and it might therefore take some time to fix.

007 - I could well imagine that the D3100 has the same limitations.

So stay tuned.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Liquidgoat

June 20th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Thanks for your efforts on this.

Interested to know which specific functions will not work based on your statement that you only can partially fix the issue.

Regardless, I am standing by.

Cheers
Oliver

June 21st, 2019, 4:37 pm

D3200 support is restored!
It was a very small bugfix, and will be made available with the next app release. If all goes well, that's coming next week.

The limitations on the D3200 are as follows:
A few less details on some settings (eg no info about Auto ISO)
No Meter indicator (the over/under exposure when in M mode)
No starting/stopping video,
No downloading thumbnails
No Autoramping (since we need Meter info for one algorithm, or the thumbnail for all other algorithms)

And the inner mechanisms in the Unleashed are not as optimised as with other cameras.
Liquidgoat

June 22nd, 2019, 11:28 pm

Thanks, Oliver, for working through this.

I am bummed to not have all features, but now we know!

I look forward to the new update.

Cheers.
Oliver

June 25th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Android update is live, iOS is currently in review.

Now that we have a D3200 here, we can see if we can add some of the features back, with some workarounds. But it will be a lot more work than with the extended commands that Nikon provides for all the other cameras, so don't expect it any time soon.
We are doing some work on thumbnails in the near future anyway, so if we figure out a useable workaround for the D3x00 limitations while we're at it, we might implement it. Thumbnails are used for autoramping too, so that would be two birds with one stone.

There is no chance for video, unfortunately.

June 25th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Updated the app, then the firmwares, and lo and behold: it's alive!

Thank you very much for your effort!

(Thumbnails would be cool.)
Oliver

June 25th, 2019, 10:44 pm

I'm glad to hear it!
Liquidgoat

June 27th, 2019, 2:14 am

My D3200 is now up and running, as well! Woo hoo! Thank you for your perserverence.

New question: It seems that the Unleashed still sucks down my D3200 battery even when the camera is off. Is this the case?
Oliver

July 1st, 2019, 3:08 pm

Hi,
I'm glad it finally works.

We added a lot of power-saving mechanisms in the last two versions of our firmware, which should keep the power-drain to a minimum while the camera is off. There is a chance that the D3200 does not give the Unleashed the information that it is off, I will have to test that.

Can you check if the Unleasheds LED turns completely off after a while of not using the app or camera? If GPS is OFF, then it should do so about 1 minutes after turning off the camera, with GPS on, it's about 30 minutes later.
Even if you don't turn off the camera (or we can't sense your camera turning off, which is the case for some cameras), add another 5 minutes to each value.

When the App is active, the LED is continuosly turquoise.
When the Unleashed is idle, or the app in the background, it's pulsing turqoise slowly.
When the Unleashed is in sleep or deep sleep, the LED turns off entirely.

The powersaving mecahnisms are running when the Unleashed is asleep. Any Camera or app activity will wake it up again.
Liquidgoat

July 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Okay. It seems that your powersaving features are just as you say. The lights respond as specified.

The only difference is that when I quit the app, the Unleashed blinks slowly in amber punctuated by a quick flash of red between each blink.

And the unit does go dark after a period of time.

thank you for your updates!