Nikon d810 and N1 phone overheating [solved: phone broken]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Cornfield

July 9th, 2019, 1:31 pm

When using the N1 with my iPhone and GPS the phone battery drains very quickly and the phone becomes very hot. I have tested on another iPhone and get the same problems.

There is obviously an issue with the device and I want to return it for a full refund.
Oliver

July 9th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Hi,

this is the first we've heard of such behaviour, and to be honest, it's very unlikely that our device is causing this.
what iOS version are you using? can you go to the phone's Settings, then to battery, and check whether it's really the Unleashed app that's draining the battery? Please send us a screenshot!

Was the second iPhone also an SE?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Cornfield

July 10th, 2019, 3:29 pm

I have done a simple test to show the rate of battery drain and an estimate of the increase in temperature. I have a short timelapse showing the test in progress.

Key facts

Link to timelapse http://bit.ly/Unleash_battery_drain

Unleash was the only app running
102 frames
Shooting time 17 minutes
Battery drain from 100% to 80%
The temperature of phone back from 25.0C to 39.2C

The rate of battery drain increases with use. On the test I did two days ago in real-world shooting the battery lasted just one hour and the phone was extremely hot.

There is no doubt the app is causing the problems with the phone. I am very experienced in logging GPS data to my phone and using Geotagphotos to generate the GPX. I have used this on many long overseas shooting trips without any problems

FC
Oliver

July 10th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply and the timelapse.

As I said, we have not had any other customer with a similar complaint, nor have we ever noticed it ourselves, even though we use Unleashed every day, so we appreciate any info you can get us, in order to find the cause of the issue.

I'm not trying to suggest our products and apps are flawless nor that the problem must lie elsewhere - we've been working on fixing bugs for a very long time.
Nonetheless, to narrow down the cause of the issue, we have to start at the top - checking which app is really causing the battery drain.

If you wouldn't mind doing some more tests, could you redo the test with GPS turned off, and once more with GPS turned on, but letting the app go to the background (ie let the screen turn off)?

did you by any chance not allow any of the permissions that were requested? (if you don't remember, you can send me a screenshot of your phone's System Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom, and tap on "Unleashed" - that's where you can change any permission, by the way).

If you could also send me a screenshot of Settings->Battery - in particular the Battery usage area - tap any app there once, to get additional information about foreground and background time. If the Unleashed app is not in first place there, or using significant amounts of energy, this might tell us that it's a system service (such as GPS or Bluetooth) using the energy, even if requested by the app.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.