Problem with Unleashed N1 on D850/D800 [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
AChoong

June 13th, 2019, 2:18 pm

HI Oliver,
I have recorded a short video of the first unleashed unit (serial 000323) as well as the 2nd newer unleashed unit(serial 002639). The first unleashed unit still has the same problem even with the new firmware installed. I can send this to you if it helps to diagnose the problem. The 2nd newer unit has been working fine without any problems so I have not upgraded the firmware just yet.

I'd really like to have the 1st unleashed unit working so that I can use that on a 2nd body.

Thanks
AChoong wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Hi Oliver,

I had a chance to upgrade the firmware tonight and unfortnately, it still does not work for me.
Have the others provided any feedback?
AChoong wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 7:16 pm
Hi Oliver,

I've had great news in that my original unleashed was found and returned to me recently. I'll update the firmware on it this weekend and let you know if it fixes things for me.

Anthony
AChoong

June 15th, 2019, 3:13 am

Hi Oliver,

Here is a screenshot of firmware version on the unleashed that causes my D850 back buttons to stop working.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_453e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_453e.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
AChoong

June 15th, 2019, 3:15 am

This is for the unleashed unit that works fine on my D850.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_453a.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_453a.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
AChoong

June 19th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Hi, any update on what I can do to get my first unleashed working?
Oliver

June 25th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Hi Anthony,

There's a new update that was just released, you're welcome to try this one more time. If that doesn't solve the issue, we will exchange your device for a new one. For that, please write to support@foolography.com and request an RMA - add your original order number and a link to this thread so my colleague knows what's up.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
AChoong

July 2nd, 2019, 7:51 am

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for the info. I have tried the firmware update but it still does not resolve the problem. I will follow through with the RMA.

Anthony
Oliver

July 2nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

One last thing: Another customer posted a workaround for a similar issue: if he plugged in the Unleashed into the camera while it was on and the Menu open, it would work and continue to work even when turning off and on the camera multiple times. but when he plugged it in while the camera was off, he would continue seeing the problem.

If you can confirm this, we know where to look for the bug - I already have a suspicion.
AChoong

July 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

Hi Oliver,

I've tried the suggested workaround both with and without the USB cable. In both cases, the all the buttons on the D850 back still don't work.

I've sent an email to request for a RMA but there has been no reply for the past few days,

Anthony
hyy

July 10th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Oliver wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 4:01 pm
One last thing: Another customer posted a workaround for a similar issue: if he plugged in the Unleashed into the camera while it was on and the Menu open, it would work and continue to work even when turning off and on the camera multiple times. but when he plugged it in while the camera was off, he would continue seeing the problem.

If you can confirm this, we know where to look for the bug - I already have a suspicion.
AChoong wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 11:20 am
Hi Oliver,

I've tried the suggested workaround both with and without the USB cable. In both cases, the all the buttons on the D850 back still don't work.

I've sent an email to request for a RMA but there has been no reply for the past few days,

Anthony
I'm having this exact same issue on my Z7 and D750. Updated to the latest firmware today.

It works for awhile and then locks up the buttons. I tried power cycling the cameras and also toggling off the Unleashed in the app. I've also tried killing the app on my iPhone.

Only thing which gets my controls to work is to physically unplug the Unleashed from my camera.

Is there a good reason to think other Unleashed units will be behave differently? Are the later production batches somehow different?

The thing is, the Unleashed has the potential to be MUCH BETTER than Nikon's SmartBridge, which is so limited. SmartBridge does a poor job of updating the GPS and then just to remotely trigger, you have to switch from bluetooth to Wifi connection, which brings a lot of other limitations.

But with bugs like these, it would be hard to sell to owners of recent Nikon cameras.
Oliver

July 11th, 2019, 11:34 am

Hi hyy,

If the firmware updates haven't made a difference until now, then you almost certainly have a defective Unleashed. We'll swap it for you. please send an email with your current billing & shipping address and a request for RMA information to support@foolography.com

And yes the Unleashed does the potential to be much better than snapbridge - and you'll see that it lives up to that potential once you get a fully functional unit ;-)

Greetings,