Long Exposure

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
jpullen

October 28th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Hi
The website says this can be used for long exposure's. However, there's no obvious way to do this.

I have a Nikon D610 and often take long exposures of the sea, e.g. 3mins 25 secs. Is there any way to do this?

Normally, I would put the camera in Manual, bulb and use a timer cable to trigger the camera. I was hoping this unit would do that but can't work out how.

P.s. the d610 requires the use of the small cable to change settings. The compatibility chart should really be updated.
PaulBlais

November 2nd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Long exposure should be possible if the user must manually set bulb mode. I don't know of a way to set bulb mode any other way but for those shooting long exposures it's not a hard thing to require. Triggertrap has done this for years across many cameras if the user manually sets bulb mode it can do what ever long exposure is required.
Oliver

November 5th, 2018, 4:49 pm

This is coming in one of the next App+Firmware updates, don't worry.
Until then, it's possible to keep the app triggerbutton pressed while the camera is set to Bulb mode.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

November 5th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Oh, and yes, we already changed the compatibility page, sorry about that wrong info.
We only recently were able to test it ourselves, before that we had the info from Nikon that the D610 would be compatible with the protocol we use through the 10-pin port. It looks like they did not know enough about that either... The D7100, D750, Df, D800 and D4 are the oldest cameras in their respective lineups that support this protocol (and therefore do not need USB for Settings control). The D5000 and D3000 series don't support it at all, not even the latest D5600...
Sherylb

February 2nd, 2022, 7:06 am

Hi this hasn’t been updated in over 3 years. I just updated my firmware to the latest version by the way. How do I set the camera for a 1 minute exposure in manual mode? Is there a timer? I can’t find any directions and need to know for an upcoming trip.
Oliver

February 17th, 2022, 10:49 am

Hi Sheryl,
sorry I missed this post of yours.

in the Unleashed app, just below the shutterspeed setting, there is a Long Exposure setting. on Nikon cameras you can turn it on right there, on Canon cameras, you need to rotate the Mode dial to B for Bulb. (you'll also get that info when you tap on the greyed out setting). Then just select the duration you desire - closest to 1 minute is 1:04 minutes. The times might look weird at first, but there's a good reason: they are all in 1/3rd stop steps, and are a continuation of the camera's internal shutter speeds.
One interesting thing we found out while developing the Unleashed: both Nikon and Canon actually take 16 or 32 second exposures if you select 15" or 30" respectively, which is why on our long exposure scale we actually use 16 and 32. The next full stop is therefore 64s which comes to 1 minute and 4 seconds.
This makes it redundant to use shutterspeed calculators, and to make a typical use for this especially easy, we even implemented a setting for adding or removing ND filters which will automatically change your shutterspeed by the correct number of stops for you!