App display "cycles" with USB cable attached

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
djf

November 4th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Hi,

I am very excited to have received my Unleashed this week, thank you! I have tried several features with the N1 attached to the camera and they seem to be working. The issue I have is when I attach the included USB cable.

With the USB cable attached, all of the feature selections in the app go gray for about 1 second and then become active again for 2+ seconds. This behavior cycles continuously. If try to change the mode setting, (when it is not grayed out), I get an error saying that USB is not active. Attempts to change most of the other settings give an "Unknown Error". It seems like the app is resetting periodically due to communication errors.

I attached the USB cable following the directions in the posted video, so hopefully it is attached correctly. Are there any menu settings in the camera that must configured correctly for the USB to work? My camera is a D500. I can connect the camera to a computer over the USB port so I believe the port on the camera is functional.

Is it possible that the cable is defective?

Are there any other obvious things I may be missing about how to configure the camera and the Unleashed for use with the USB cable?

Thanks,

- David
Oliver

November 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Hey, sorry for the trouble.

No, there are no settings you need to change for it to work.

Is there any change you plugged in the cable the wrong way round into the Unleashed? is the cable pointing away from the lens? (It should look like on the D800, not like on the D7100 in the video!) With a little too much force it's possible to plug it in the wrong way round...

All cables are fully tested before we receive them, but of course there's always a chance that something went wrong somewhere.

can you do a screen recording and post it here or send it to support@foolography.com? thanks!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
djf

November 6th, 2018, 1:22 am

OK, thanks Oliver.

I verified that the cable is pointing away from the lens as shown on the D800 in the instructional video when the error occurs.

I have sent the requested screen capture video to the support email address. The video shows the behavior of the app when the USB cable is attached. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks,

- David
Andy

November 6th, 2018, 10:05 am

Hi David,

A good way to check whether the Unleashed and/or the USB cable are faulty is to test them with another camera. Do you have the possibility to do this?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
djf

November 6th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Hi Andy,

That's a good suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have access to another N1 compatible camera at the moment.

- David
djf

February 21st, 2019, 5:11 pm

Hi Oliver,

I have updated the app and the firmware and I am still seeing the same behavior. Without the USB cable attached the Unleashed works normally. When I connect the USB cable, the app display flashes and I get various error messages if I attempt to change any settings on the camera.

Thanks and Regards,

- David
Oliver

February 22nd, 2019, 11:25 am

Hi David
do you maybe have another camera (canon or nikon) which fits just the usb plug? maybe with a Micro-Mini adapter or Micro-USB-C adapter?
with the N1 plugged into the one camera, but the cable plugged into another, it could also work. Then we'd know if it's a camera (setting) issue, or rather teh cable or Unleashed.
djf

May 2nd, 2019, 8:08 pm

Hi Oliver,

I managed to get my hands on a D300 recently but it looks like that camera has a different USB plug and I don't have an adapter. At this point it seems unlikely that I will be able to do more debugging with the equipment available to me.

To summarize the status, the N1 Unleashed seems to work without the USB cable attached. It fails to operate correctly with the USB cable attached. It seems like this problem could be due to a USB error on the camera, a problem with the cable, or an issue with the N1 USB interface. Since I can communicate with the camera over USB using my computer, that seems like the least likely point of failure.

At this point, I am thinking I should either send back the N1 and cable for testing and/or replacement, or perhaps you could send me a replacement cable to see if that solves the issue.

Please let me know what you think is the best way to proceed.

Thanks and Regards,

- David
Oliver

July 1st, 2019, 7:46 pm

Hi djf,

sorry for the long silence.

Can you try the latest update? There was a small change which should stop the cycling, although I'm not sure if it fixes your problem though.
can you send me a screen recording using the latest firmware?

We did notice such cycling once or twice, but the most likely point of failure is indeed the USB cable.

If the latest update doesn't do anything for you, we'll send you a new cable.
djf

July 1st, 2019, 11:22 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I updated to the latest app version, 1.3.0 (647), and the latest firmware, A: 1.4.0, B: 1.4.2, C: 1.3.0. The cycling does seem to be reduced but it is not gone entirely. It can be seen mostly in the "trigger release" icon in the bottom center of the screen. Some of the other settings also flash, but the time in the off state is greatly reduced.

When I try to change the settings there are lags and intermittent error messages pop up and disappear.
As before, I will send the screen grab video in a separate email so you can see the behavior.

It looks like the next step would be to try a new USB cable.

Thanks and Regards,

- David