Firmware update failure [solved with latest update]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Hoot52

July 23rd, 2019, 12:53 am

Received replacement today. Firmware is up to date so we shall see what a future update brings. All options appear functional, to the extent possible with the D300. I have found an odd reading in a photo’s GPS data when my Bad Elf GPS Pro is simultaneously connected to my iPad Mini 2 via Bluetooth. Position data is fine but the altitude reading is literally astronomical. No big deal to me as I have never been concerned with geotagging photos, but it may be of concern to someone at some point in time. Anyway, thanks for taking care of this! You guys rock!
Oliver

July 24th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Hi Hoot52,

just to get it straight: Your Bad Elf is connected to your iPad, your iPad to the Unleashed?

Can you check the Bad Elf app to look at the altitude?
We will try to check the same configuration, see if we can find the issue.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Hoot52

July 24th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Hi Oliver. This may not be anything you need to worry about. Here’s what happened: I was testing the device and one of the last tests involved the GPS data being embedded in the metadata. I took a photo without the Bad Elf involved and the altitude showed 8m. Looked legit. Then I turned on the Bad Elf, let it connect to the iPad and waited for it to “find itself” - so to speak. I then took a couple more photos just to see if the Bad Elf was providing more accurate data to the iPad; as one would expect it to do. Strangely, the altitude showed something like 209+ MILLION meters. I forget the exact numbers and I have deleted the photos, so I can’t provide them anyway.

My thinking is that turning on the Bad Elf while the Unleashed was “in session” with the iPad introduced the anomaly. The next day I connected the Bad Elf to the iPad, got locked onto the satellites and then started a session with the Unleashed. Altitude reading was normal.

Frankly, it’s not a problem I would worry about. If you want to pursue it you certainly may. From my perspective I have learned that I will make sure the Bad Elf is connected and locked in BEFORE using the Unleashed - if I decide I want to even use GPS data. Hope this helps!
GunnarBruening

September 5th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Hallo,
Habe heute den unleashed N2. bekommen, installation an meiner Nikon D7500 ging problemlos, dann kam das Firmware Update was abgebrochen ist und nun geht gar nichts mehr?
Bitte um Hilfe
Gruß
Gunnar
GunnarBruening

September 6th, 2019, 9:06 am

Hello,
Today I have the unleashed N2. get installation on my Nikon D7500 went smoothly, then came the firmware update what is broken and now nothing works?
Please help
greeting
Gunnar
Schade das sich hier keiner kümmert, also werde ich das unleashed wieder zurück schicken müssen.

Oliver

September 6th, 2019, 11:47 am

Hallo,

Eine Handvoll Unleasheds weisen leider ein Firmware Update problem vor, aber auch nicht immer. Das hat es sehr schwer gemacht, das Problem zu finden um es dann zu beheben.
Nach vielen verschiedenen Ansätzen die wir auch mit Kunden hier getestet haben, haben wir jedoch endlich die Ursache herausgefunden, und auch eine Lösung. Die Lösung kommt im nächsten Firmware update. Das muss man jedoch auch erstmal schaffen zu installieren, danach wird es jedoch für immer Ruhe geben.

Wir haben einen Trick gefunden, wie das Firmware update fast zu 100% doch funktioniert: Einfach das Unleashed für ca 30 minuten ins Eisfach legen, und danach das Firmware update durchführen. :-) Es gibt tatsächlich auch eine Physikalische Erklärung dafür - zumindest jetzt wo wir wissen was das Problem war.

Das kannst du gerne jetzt schon tun, mit dem Aktuellen Firmware update. Wenn das nächste Update mit dem finalen Fix für dieses Problem rauskommt, muss es evtl nochmal in's Eisfach. Danach aber nie wieder.

Sorry für die Probleme.
GunnarBruening

September 6th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Ich werde es ausprobieren und berichte dann hier ob es funktioniert hat
Danke für die Antwort
GunnarBruening

September 8th, 2019, 11:15 am

So, trotz mehrfacher Versuche im Eisfach bleibt das ganze Erfolglos, Update auf Firmware A 1.4.0 bleibt immer bei 0 Prozent stehen und dann kommt Retry oder Reboot, alles mehrfach probiert aber ohne Erfolg.
Soll ich den Unleashed N2 nun zurück schicken und ihr schickt mir dann einen neuen?

Gruß
Gunnar
Oliver

September 10th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Hmm, das klingt nicht gut. Du kannst jetzt nochmal das gegenteil probieren: das Unleashed in die Sonne legen.
Aber wenn das auch nicht hilft, dann kannst du uns das Unleashed gerne zurueckschicken - entweder führen wir hier das update durch, oder wir schicken dir ein Neues.
Schick es bitte an
Foolography GmbH
Ladengeschäft EG
Liselotte-Herrmann-Str. 36
10407 Berlin

mit einer Notiz was das Problem ist, und deinem Usernamen.

Du kannst gerne einfach einen Wattierten Umschlag nehmen und das Unleashed in dem unteren Schaumstoff aus der Verpackung als Brief herschicken. Es muss nicht als versichertes Paket oder per Einschreiben geschickt werden.

Sorry für die Probleme.
GunnarBruening

September 23rd, 2019, 1:33 pm

Hallo,
Ich möchte jetzt einmal Nachfragen wo denn mein Unleashed N2 bleibt?
Den defekten habe ich vor über 2 Wochen an die Adresse Ladengeschäft geschickt aber seit dem nichts gehört!

Gruß

Gunnar