Help - Unleashed does not connect (again) [solved in app update 1.3.7]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

October 25th, 2019, 7:10 pm

OK. Thanks
Too bad, that might have been an explanation for your issues that just came to me.

Yes, we'll continue with the debug logging. I've already sent your email to my colleague, and he'll try and set up a debug build for you on Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for your cooperation.

PS. Googling "Pixel 3 Bluetooth" immediately autocompletes to "Pixel 3 Bluetooth Issues" and there are several threads on Bluetooth issues. Most are about Bluetooth speakers or Earphones, but that's the most common Bluetooth accessory people use.
The weirdest fix that more than one person claims to have worked: uninstall the preinstalled youtube app!!?
However this one actually makes sense:
I've run into some odd issues with getting a Pixel 3 to connect to certain Bluetooth LE devices, and I'm guessing that your Fitbit and scale might fall into that category. One thing that seems to help is to periodically clear the phone's Bluetooth cache. You can do this at Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Menu > Show system > Bluetooth > Storage > Clear cache.

My phone usually connects right away after performing that step so hopefully it will work for you as well.
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/t ... 7632?hl=en

Then there's also the suggestion to Reset all Wifi, mobile & Bluetooth Settings:
Settings > Network & Internet > More > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth. -> Reset settings.
However, I do not want to recommend this, as you might lose all your stored Wifi Passwords (though I am not sure if that's really the case). You're welcome to read up on that - I'm no android expert, and choose whether you want to try this or not.

Sorry I don't have a better solution yet.

Have a great weekend.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
klassm

October 25th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Hey

At least clearing the Bluetooth cache does not help. I don't want to try the other solution for now - maybe someone else wants to? :-)

I'll be out of home until Wednesday evening, but then I'll be happy to install the debug app.

Not really sure whether that system poking helps too much, as the Unleashed shows up for pairing. So it is recognized some how. However, somehow it cannot open a connection.

In any case - all of this is poking in the dark (which is more or less a waste of time). Better invest some time now to improve your logging and think of how customers can send you a log file. There is the possibility to get logs from the app in itself for this app - then you can just send it via mail or so.

As soon as you have that one, we'll hopefully have some hard facts.

Matthias

P.S. : maybe you can take away something from this.... Not reacting to customers results in really really bad feelings. Most people will however be happy to help if you let them.
toorude

October 26th, 2019, 12:48 am

Oliver wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 7:10 pm
OK. Thanks
Too bad, that might have been an explanation for your issues that just came to me.

I've run into some odd issues with getting a Pixel 3 to connect to certain Bluetooth LE devices, and I'm guessing that your Fitbit and scale might fall into that category. One thing that seems to help is to periodically clear the phone's Bluetooth cache. You can do this at Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Menu > Show system > Bluetooth > Storage > Clear cache.

My phone usually connects right away after performing that step so hopefully it will work for you as well.
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/t ... 7632?hl=en

Then there's also the suggestion to Reset all Wifi, mobile & Bluetooth Settings:
Settings > Network & Internet > More > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth. -> Reset settings.
However, I do not want to recommend this, as you might lose all your stored Wifi Passwords (though I am not sure if that's really the case). You're welcome to read up on that - I'm no android expert, and choose whether you want to try this or not.

Sorry I don't have a better solution yet.

Have a great weekend.
Well, I cleared the blutooth cache and settings.... no effect. Then I had the idea to clean the Unleashed App's cash and settings, and guess what: the Pixel 3 immediately paired and connected with the Unleashed, and currently it works, also pairing and external GPS with QStarz! Matthias, try and clean the Unleashed App's cache and settings: Settings >Apps>show all apps>Unleashed>Memory and cache>empty cache AND delete memory content

I have no idea how long this will last. Would test again and report, but need to leave Germany for a week... however, this may be a start to work on???

I have the slight feeling it may eventally work reliably some day :-)
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
toorude

October 26th, 2019, 1:35 am

I have switched off and on the Pixel3, no pairing! Emptying unleashed App cache - still no pairing. Emptying both Bluetooth and App cache - Pairing! It seems after switching off and on you always need to empty both Bluetooth and unleashed app cache....
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
klassm

October 26th, 2019, 9:16 am

Clearing app cache, clear app settings, restart app, starting pairing, paired.

Wow that really helped. And it's much faster than before!

Firmware update also worked, so it's actually usable again. Let's see how long though, I did not yet restart my phone ;-)

Thanks for finding out toorude.
sibe

October 26th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Same problem here. MI 9 Lite (based on Android 9 PIE). No pairing after updating the app. I tried all was said here : Clearing app data and cache, clearing bluetooth cache, restarting phone, restarting app. It detects the Unleashed, but no pairing. I let it trying for 25 min, no success.

No problem with other devices (iPhone, Fire tablet), pairing successful so I could update the firmware, then unpairing/forgetting Unleashed. But always no pairing with MI 9 Lite.

So it's seems not related to Android 10 as MI 9 Lite is based on Android 9. I will retry later.
klassm

October 27th, 2019, 10:17 am

Hm ... So connection also breaks just after some time, without phone restart. Still, the fix seems to help so that the pairing succeeds afterwards. Just delete the Bluetooth cache and the app data all the time.

However, I cannot seem to get GPS data. I am standing now outside for 5 minutes, Google Maps already has GPS data and the Unleashed is still waiting for GPS fix. Not sure why. Permissions are of course granted, so that the app is allowed to get GPS data even in the background...

Matthias
Oliver

October 28th, 2019, 11:47 am

Thanks for the report.

OK, that's very interesting, definitely something we will look into, why clearing the app cache helps with the Bluetooth connection (and of course why after disconnecting/reconnecting the problem is back...)

My colleague is currently preparing a debug build that we can send you, along with instructions how to get the log output.
kengonn

October 28th, 2019, 12:16 pm

HI there, I'm using the N2 on my D90, phone model is Mi Mix 2s. I am facing the same problem, the app detects the N2 but doesnt seem to connect. I have cleared both Bluetooth and app cache, and also waited for a few minutes. Is there any workaround?
Oliver

October 30th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Hi Kengonn,

I wrote many different suggestions in this thread of what could help. Have a look at the earlier posts too - not just the latest where a temporary solution for the Android 10 issue was found...