C2 - gps can not get activated on iOS app [solved - pickers now tappable]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
msperl

November 6th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Hi!

I can not select/activate gps in the iOS app everything but the “off” icon is grayed out - I have tried on iPhone 5s as well as an iPad Pro.

I guess this is related to the fact that the app does not even show up in location services Page of the control center. So I can not enable or disable the app access to the gps data.

Is the maybe an issue with iOS 12.1?

Thanks, Martin
djf

November 6th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hi Martin,

Another user here. I am on iOS 11, but I also noticed that the Unleashed App did not appear in location services at first. I had to enable the GPS in the app and then it appeared in location services as you would expect.

Enabling the GPS is one area where i found the UI a little confusing. Once you select GPS, the leftmost satellite symbol in the bottom third of the screen is actually a scrollable selector. You can scroll up to select the satellite with the phone next to it to enable GPS. I think there may be a highlighting issue with those symbols on the first launch of the app.

I hope that helps.

- David
Oliver

November 7th, 2018, 1:50 am

Hi Martin,
Not all Cameras support GPS. On those that don't, the GPS options remain greyed out. Check our compatibility page:
https://www.foolography.com/products/un ... atibility/

What camera are you using it on?

David: All our Setting options are scrollable "Pickers". That said, we've noticed a LOT of users trying to tap on other options, rather than scroll to them. So we've already enabled tapping - it's coming in the next app update.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
djf

November 7th, 2018, 2:48 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks, adding tapping could be helpful. It was clear to me that most of the options were scrollable. The Mode setting for example was obvious, a single column with the current selection highlighted. The confusion I had was specifically with the GPS setting. There were four separate icons and it was unclear to me that the two in the left column (GPS mode) were scrollable and that the right two were marking Interval and Priority as currently unavailable.

I could be wrong, but my recollection is that when I first launched the app, all four GPS icons were gray. That's what I meant when I mentioned a possible highlighting problem. Now when I go in, the selected GPS mode icon is highlighted and it seems clearer that it is scrollable.

- David
Oliver

November 7th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Hi David,

if you turn off the camera, then all settings become unavailable (greyed out) maybe this is what you saw at some point?

To us who designed the UI, it's inherently obvious that every single setting is (vertically) scrollable, and in some places, such as GPS we have 2 or three vertically scrolling pickers next to each other. So we never gave that a second thought, until we watched people trying to use the app! the fewer options are available especially if it's just one or two, the more it confused the user and we observed them trying to tap, or worse: not know what to do with the presented information at all.
But luckily those are easy changes to make.

So thanks for your feedback!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
msperl

November 7th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Thanks David!

It is really just unexpected UI-behavior.

For me all but 1 of 4 icons was enabled, so I tried to click on any of the others to activate them (not being able to really see what each of the icons was signifying really just to see if it would change. (Dark grey on black does need t help either to identify the function of a button - even on an iPad where I tried to turn up screen brightness to better identify the buttons).

Scrolling never crossed my mind and I am surprised that such a behavior was actually ok’ed by apple... (but as it is grayed out in demo mode I guess it never became apparent during their testing) I do not care now as long as it became clear.

Maybe review the UI for better usability the future by other user...

Thanks, Martin