Restricted by hardware dial [solved - defective hardware]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Nevin1863

June 22nd, 2020, 11:11 pm

I'm using the D850. Received my unleashed 3 days ago. Tried it and everything worked fine except the photo review. Second try using it now I get 2 error messages. 1st is "Restricted by hardware dial or switch or another setting". Second one says, "USB cable is unplugged. Plug in USB cable." But, the cable is plugged in. I read the suggestion to loosen the connector slightly, but that didn't make any difference. Also the unleashed recognizes settings on the camera, except for drive mode and metering, but won't activate the shutter.
Oliver

June 23rd, 2020, 11:28 am

Hi, that does sound like USB is not working: Image Review, Metering and a few more details require the USB connection. all other settings work without the cable.

The Hardware dial restriction is common - it happens whenever you select a setting where the the camera has a dial with fixed locations for certain settings (eg DriveMode, or the Exposure mode dial) that would physically need to be turned, which obviously can't be done from the app. Or do you see it on other settings that should not have this restriction?

As for triggering, the most common issue is that the camera is set to AF, but because you're not looking through the viewfinder, the camera is pointing at a wall or other featureless area where it can't achieve autofocus.
try setting the camera to MF, or make sure it's pointing at an area with enough contrast to focus on.

Can you send us a screenshot or two where I can see the errors?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Nevin1863

June 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I think I've added a screen shot of the error message. I noticed none of the settings in the screen shot are the same settings as on the camera at that time, so I guess the unleashed is not communicating with the camera. I noticed in your instructional videos it appears the unleashed has a small light when connected. I don't see that light on mine.
Attachments
unleashed error messages June 23, 2020.jpg
unleashed error messages June 23, 2020.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 6321 times
Oliver

June 23rd, 2020, 3:03 pm

OK, this is an easy one! ;-)

As you can see along the top of the app, it says "Virtual Unleashed". This means you have not yet paired the real Unleashed.

Here's how to do that:
https://www.foolography.com/faqs/how-do ... martphone/

Have a look at the other howtos to get the basics set up!
https://www.foolography.com/support/unleashed/

let me know if you have any further questions!
Nevin1863

June 23rd, 2020, 5:51 pm

Thanks, I tried to pair the unleashed and get no connection. The pairing screen just keeps spinning. I've let run for over 10 minutes, twice shutting off camera and turning it back on. I've checked settings on my phone, bluetooth is on. I noticed in the instructions for pair it says the unleashed should blink yellow until connected then should blink green. I get no light at all from the unleashed.
Nevin1863

June 25th, 2020, 11:43 pm

I"m still not able to get this to operate. Can I return for a new one?
Nevin1863

June 28th, 2020, 7:34 am

I was corresponding last week with you about my unleashed not working. I would like to know if I can return it for a new one.
Oliver

June 29th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Hi again,
sorry I missed your quick reply on the 23rd, and didn't get to replying to the one from the end of last week.

That is odd, you should see a light on the Unleashed, though we do turn it off when the Unleashed goes into a powersaving mode. Are you sure it's plugged in all the way?
We have had an issue with Bluetooth on Android: can you try starting and stopping Airplane mode, and clearing the Bluetooth Cache on your phone (System Settings->Apps->Manage Apps->Bluetooth->Clear Data (bottom of screen))
then restarting the phone.
Also, you can try deleting and reinstalling the app, or clearing the App Cache.
Make sure you give the App permission for Location services, unfortunately Google restricts some methods of Bluetooth connectivity into the Location permissions, so we need those even if you don't want to use geotagging (this needs to be enabled separately anyway).

if you have an iOS device to check the connection with, that would be really helpful, to check whether it's and Android app or hardware issue.
Nevin1863

June 29th, 2020, 10:34 pm

HI, thanks for touching base with me. I tried all the things you mention and still no connection. I use an android phone, but have an ipad and tried that as well. Same thing, no connection. I thought perhaps my port on the camera wasn't working, but tried it with a different remote and it works fine. I still don't even see a light from the unleashed even when I first turn on the camera.
Oliver

June 30th, 2020, 10:38 am

Hi,

alright, if it doesn't show up with the iPad, then it really sounds like you have an issue with your Unleashed.

We'll send you a replacement, and contact you via email.

Sorry for the trouble!