Interval ramping

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
zoom

September 15th, 2020, 1:37 am

Thanks Andy and Oliver! I will place an order shortly. Let me know if I can help any testing of this feature.

The auto ramping algorithm triggered by the shutter speed sounds brilliant! But the result of this method will totally depend on how you ramp the exposure.

For instance, lets assuming the initial interval is 10s as you said, and the target interval is 30 secs. Usually user can ramp the exposure (not the interval) in two different orders during a sunset:

1. Slow down the shutter speed
2. Open up the aperture
3. Increase the ISO

VS

1. Open up the aperture
2. Slow down the shutter speed
3. Increase the ISO

Based on your shutter speed approach, the interval ramping to our target interval 30 secs will be much faster in the first case than in the second scenario above. I am afraid we may still lose some precious sunset "time" due to the longer interval that is applied earlier.

Yes, the auto method will be simple and straight forward for a casual user but we'll need to find a way to apply this ramping after the sunset, which is pretty hard. I would still prefer to decouple the interval ramping with the shutter speed or other parameters, so that user can control when the interval ramping starts and ends. Specifically, I really want to do the interval ramping during the blue hour, which is around 15 mins.

I assume the user would know when the blue hour starts and ends in his/her specific location if the user plans to shoot the sunset all the way to the milky way. So another option is to let the user set the start time and the duration in advance, rather than asking the user to press a button to start the ramping in the middle of the shooting. Hence the user can relax and do other stuff during the entire shooting session. Of cause, user should still have the ability to override those settings after the shooting starts.

Well, maybe UNLEASHED can provide us two different interval ramping modes: Auto and Custom. By default it's Auto, but the user is still able to customize it. :)

Just my 2 cents.
zoom

September 16th, 2020, 6:19 am

Hey Andy/Oliver,

Could you guys help provide an ETA for this feature so that I can make a decision on which device to buy.

Thank you!
Andy

September 16th, 2020, 10:02 am

We do not have an ETA for this yet. A new feature like this requires development in firmware, iOS and Android, it requires UI/UX design, testing, etc.

Do not buy the Unleashed expecting features that it doesn't yet have.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

September 20th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Oliver wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 6:30 pm
Hey guys

The implementation in Firmware would actually not be that hard to do, but we're still figuring out a UI that will give you all the options an expert might need, without overwhelming the casual user - unlike some of our competition ;-)

Hi Oliver, Andy,

Why not let the forum users help you with the UI/UX design?
You could provide UI elements as bitmaps so users can cut&paste these UI elements on an empty screen background, designing this way how they look at it.
Just an suggestion... supply a zipfile with UI element bitmaps users can unzip and puzzle these elements into one or more screenshots of potential screens.

At least that is how you come to learn how people see your product and App and how they like to use it, even if they don't grasp the real meaning behind it (novice, intermediate, expert).
I sure would like to help to puzzle some App-screens together how I would design it. Even if I am not an expert on this subject.

I think it sure would help in overcoming all the complexities for the novice, because expert screens can look very technical/skilled.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 21st, 2020, 10:08 am

You're welcome to give any suggestions, we are certainly open to new ideas. That said, you'd have to manage your expectations, and we can't promise that we will implement whatever designs we receive. We don't have the manpower to maintain an open forum for collective UI/UX design for the apps.
Andy
Unfoolishly

September 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

Andy wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 10:08 am
You're welcome to give any suggestions, we are certainly open to new ideas. That said, you'd have to manage your expectations, and we can't promise that we will implement whatever designs we receive. We don't have the manpower to maintain an open forum for collective UI/UX design for the apps.
Hi Andy,

No, that is not what I mean. You stated earlier in other posts that the firmware is not the hardest problem to design/develop, but the UI/UX of the App.
Why not do a "request for comments" by asking your users what they think about new UI/UX proposals, so you don't end up designing and developing the code while nobody wants it like that.
I do think you get practical and non-practical responses from your users, but one thing is then clear: you know how your customers see it and how their thinking patterns are, which might be different what you have in mind as Android/iOS App developer.
You can ask in both directions:
1) give the users the basic UI elements as bitmap components so they can drag&drop those on an empty canvas and make screenshots out of it, or...
2) give the users your screenshot designs as a request for comments, and see what responses you get before implementing those ideas.

I think it will save you some iterations in the development cycle.
Just my 2cts.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 21st, 2020, 6:07 pm

I understand what you mean. I guess it's up to the designers to decide how they want to go about their development processes. Unfortunately I can't really comment on their workflow since it's not my area of expertise.
Andy
Unfoolishly

September 22nd, 2020, 10:36 pm

Andy wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 6:07 pm
I understand what you mean. I guess it's up to the designers to decide how they want to go about their development processes. Unfortunately I can't really comment on their workflow since it's not my area of expertise.
Yes, I understand this. But I read many times in the forum that the UI/UX is the hardest to design, so sharing it in concept before actually implementing it would surely help a lot preventing refactoring/redesigning each time. Just an idea....

Greetings,
Unfoolishly